Mystery White Chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nickeechickee, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Nickeechickee

Nickeechickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012
    So I got three yellow chicks as part of my "assorted brown egg layers" from Meyer hatchery (though it is possible one is a "meal maker" as I ordered one of those too). One was obviously a rooster from about 3-4 weeks on...he is currently in my freezer. However today I noticed one of the other white birds has suddenly gotten more defined wattles than "her" sister, which wasn't the case 2 weeks ago when we still had the obvious rooster. Do I need to be concerned?

Also, I'm guessing these are white rocks based on the white chickens Meyer has...can anyone confirm?

They are now 17 weeks and they are all white (the first one is just muddy as it has been super wet here)

Wattled chick:

[​IMG]
    non-wattled one

[​IMG]

2. RanchGirl13

RanchGirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have hens that their wattle size verys throughout them all and I have 38 hens and I have some that have bigger wattles than that not by a lot but still I dont think you should be worried unless she gets a big tail and spurs

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

They do look like White Rocks to me. I agree with RanchGirl that you may have to wait a little longer just to be sure about the top one. But with a comb and wattles that big and red, I'd say that is more likely to be a rooster like you thought...

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, it looks like they are White Rocks. The non-wattled one is definitely a pullet; the wattled one may just be a quick-developing pullet that is going to lay soon. However, a side-profile photo would help determine the gender of the wattled one for sure.

5. RanchGirl13

I have hens that have bigger combs than that

6. Nickeechickee

Dec 23, 2012
    Hmmm I will try to get a better picture tomorrow. It is hard - as soon as I try they move again. I have a dozen out of focus ones, LOL.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    17 weeks, your hens are reaching point of lay and they'll all start looking like that over the next 6 weeks or so. That's a hen.

8. Nickeechickee

Dec 23, 2012
    Oooo so can I expect eggs soon do you think? I know with my EE she was red for over a month before she squatted, and then it was another week before we got an egg. No squatting from the younger ladies yet.

9. RanchGirl13

10. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x3

However depending upon where you are the winter cold and shorter daylight hours will play into how soon they will lay.

I try to get my pullets to 20 weeks by July or August latest so they get established in laying before the onset of winter hours otherwise they don't seem to kick in well until spring especially if one of their last juvenile molts occurs at the normal fall molt time.

Hopefully yours won't mind the winter and will set in to laying well soon. Adding lighting to the coop can help to extend the light time to beyond 12 hours each day. (Just don't leave it on all the time or you can cause some egg laying issues and chicken irritability. Also be careful with any lighting...I've burned a coop down and so have several of my friends.)

Lady of McCamley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by