Mystery White Chickens

Nickeechickee

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 23, 2012
So I got three yellow chicks as part of my "assorted brown egg layers" from Meyer hatchery (though it is possible one is a "meal maker" as I ordered one of those too). One was obviously a rooster from about 3-4 weeks on...he is currently in my freezer. However today I noticed one of the other white birds has suddenly gotten more defined wattles than "her" sister, which wasn't the case 2 weeks ago when we still had the obvious rooster. Do I need to be concerned?

Also, I'm guessing these are white rocks based on the white chickens Meyer has...can anyone confirm?

They are now 17 weeks and they are all white (the first one is just muddy as it has been super wet here)

Wattled chick:

non-wattled one

17 weeks is really early. I hatched out a bunch of chicks and mine looked about like that at 20 weeks and started laying at about 23 to 24 weeks. lucky for you if you ask me. Eggs sooner is never bad.

Eggs sooner is bad for the pullet and bad for their eventual egg size. Most large layer barns use lighting to hold back the first date of lay with their pullets until they are 22 weeks or so. Earlier has a much greater chance for prolapse and also you'll get lots of itty bitty eggs instead of them getting to a proper size more quickly. Read the lighting link I posted above--there's great information in there on how to use lighting to stop your pullets from developing too quickly.

I have hens that their wattle size verys throughout them all and I have 38 hens and I have some that have bigger wattles than that not by a lot but still I dont think you should be worried unless she gets a big tail and spurs

They do look like White Rocks to me. I agree with RanchGirl that you may have to wait a little longer just to be sure about the top one. But with a comb and wattles that big and red, I'd say that is more likely to be a rooster like you thought...

Yes, it looks like they are White Rocks. The non-wattled one is definitely a pullet; the wattled one may just be a quick-developing pullet that is going to lay soon. However, a side-profile photo would help determine the gender of the wattled one for sure.

Hmmm I will try to get a better picture tomorrow. It is hard - as soon as I try they move again. I have a dozen out of focus ones, LOL.

17 weeks, your hens are reaching point of lay and they'll all start looking like that over the next 6 weeks or so. That's a hen.

17 weeks, your hens are reaching point of lay and they'll all start looking like that over the next 6 weeks or so. That's a hen.

Oooo so can I expect eggs soon do you think? I know with my EE she was red for over a month before she squatted, and then it was another week before we got an egg. No squatting from the younger ladies yet.

Back
Top Bottom