Mystery!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Crickett, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    I bought a white wyandotte pullet, put her in the coop at night with the rest of the flock. The next morning, she had disappeared without a trace! Not even a single feather left! Any ideas? The rest of the flock isn't talking, but then they've always been rather tight beaked.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Assuming she wasn't a ghost, have you checked really closely in small places you wouldn't think she could fit? If she was new and being picked on she could have tried to get away and squeezed behind, in or under something. No way to get out of the coop, even if your chickens usually don't? Two legged chicken thieves in the area?

3. jadenthechicken

jadenthechicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2012
    I agree with Kelsie. My chickens are fat but they are GREAT escape artist, always finding holes that I missed and didn't fill. I had a brand new chicken get loose the day I bought her and about Two weeks later she came back and was snooping around the chicken coop and trying to get in, so I simply let her in. My answer would be to look for feathers of that exact pullet by a hole and if you find one fill it and then wait awhile to see if she will come back! I hope this helped!

4. Farmer Brian

Farmer Brian Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    Did you look through your litter? Maybe the other girls buried her.

5. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    Well she might have gotten out, or someone may have switched her. I now have a new rooster, a rir, that wasn't there before! I have no idea where he came from! Think I'll call him Roosevelt.

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    One time i put a bath of peachicks i just hatched out in my brooder, when i went to check on them 1 was missing, now i put them in a peened area in the big brooder so even if they got out they would still be in the pen.

I looked everywhere and couldn't find her, later that evening when i went to feed them i lifted up the red tray in the photo and she was under there, good thing there was lots of litter or she surely would have been crushed.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by