Myth: Bad eggs will float / good eggs will sink

The problem with this test is it's going to be heavily affected by the humidity the eggs are stored at... eggs stored in high humidity will have smaller air cells, even if they're no good.

hi.

i was searching about this on google and found this. i took the time to create an account just to share my thoughts. i must say that there's no such thing as "air cells" air is a combination of different gases, a cell is a completely different thing.

that is just plain stup1d.

have a nice day.

The anatomy of an egg .

There are many images of air cells shown in an egg on Google. Most images are related to articles pertaining to the eggs anatomy.

www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/eggs/eggcomposition

An air space forms when the contents of the egg cool and contract after the egg is laid. The air cell usually rests between the outer and inner membranes at the egg’s larger end, and it accounts for the crater you often see at the end of a hard-cooked egg. The air cell grows larger as an egg ages.

hi.

i was searching about this on google and found this. i took the time to create an account just to share my thoughts. i must say that there's no such thing as "air cells" air is a combination of different gases, a cell is a completely different thing.

that is just plain stup1d.

have a nice day.
An air space forms when the contents of the egg cool and contract after the egg is laid. The air cell usually rests between the outer and inner membranes at the egg’s larger end, and it accounts for the crater you often see at the end of a hard-cooked egg. The air cell grows larger as an egg ages.

I also found this on Google on many websites.

I usually have them in temperate climate. There is not a lot of fluctuation in temperature or humidity. The humidity is low and room temperature.

I found a hidden nest in my yard with 9 eggs! I floated them and they all laid flat on the bottom. Went to use them, 8 were fine but one was blue/green and so funky I had to air out the house.

THAT ROTTEN @$$ EGG DID NOT FLOAT AT ALL

Last edited:

I also found this on Google on many websites.

No need for google, I see this every time I have them hard boiled. I have not compared boiled eggs air space with age of egg. I think I will mark my eggs and see next time.

The problem with this test is it's going to be heavily affected by the humidity the eggs are stored at... eggs stored in high humidity will have smaller air cells, even if they're no good.

Now that explains why my rotten eggs do not float. I live in a tropical jungle with 100+ percent humidity.

Back
Top Bottom