Myth or Fact???

Sorry, we don't have those in Holland...
wink.png

How about a miniature pony? I hear they are good at protecting goats. Could be the same with chickens I would think. I am always voting in favor of getting a pony or horse. Since I have wanted one all my life.

It's half fact!

If you get ducks, you won't have any predators going after the chickens.
They'll want the tasty ducks instead.

I have heard that Chinese geese are amazing guard dogs in a flock and make lots of noise if something is bothering them. But in all reality, I wouldn't trust a giant goose with my flock of small, non-aggressive chickens.

Henk69 wrote:
A single Llama would protect a herd of sheep!
Maybe a swan would be an option for chickens.
A duck would help also when you dig a canal all around your coop and run instead of a pond.

Yes, but then there's the moat monster you have to deal with

lau.gif

Really though....I've heard a few people praising their llama's protective nature towards their livestock.....seems they're also pretty good at spitting.
tongue.png

My neighbour keeps a donkey to protect his cattle from coyotes and it lives pretty close to where I keep my chickens - so far I think it's doing a good job as I don't even have a raccoon problem (fingers crossed - I'm not tempting fate here, am I?!)

So maybe a donkey? Not to mention they'd leave you lots of presents for the garden!

I have llamas, dogs, and alpacas in with my goats. And my guineas absolutely love that ole apple tree LOL. But as far as protection against prey in the birds.

*Good Run with no places that stuff cant get through*
*Good hen house with no places that predators cant get in*
**And lots and lots of patients if they do
wink.png
LOL**

Good Luck!

Last edited:
The best deterrent to raccoons or foxes is a hollow point through the head of the varmint. Clean them out in the spring and more do not show up until the next spring. At least that has been my experience. I do not want to loose one single bird that I have worked hard to produce over the years.

Believe it or not one of my broiler breeder males got into it with a raccoon and came out on top. He weighs as much or more than the raccoon. He was a bit bloody, lost a few feathers and an eye. He is crowing today. I will not be able to use him as a breeder now. Somebody is going to eat him. At least it was not the raccoon. I saw the tracks of the raccoon this morning. I will get him or her this evening. One more tail to tack on the hen house.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom