Myth or Fact?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicky Joy, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Chicky Joy

Chicky Joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    I'm sure this question has gone around and around on this board but I'm curious.

We have 8 hens that just started laying two weeks ago. We have no desire to get a rooster but have been asked about it many times. My question is, will the hens quit laying because there is not a rooster around?

2. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    That is just a myth. Having a rooster around is only if you want those Eggs to be fertile, that way you can have baby chicks some day! other then that, you really do not NEED a rooster and your hens will still lay! [​IMG]

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    No. I don't think that is true. The rooster is for protection and fertilization.

4. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    No. You donnot need a rooster for eggs. There are people who prefer non fertilized eggs, and those are the ones that have no roosters.
    Eggs bought from large grocery stores come from large egg laying factories with tons of hens and no roosters.

So you're fine being rooster-less. [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Think of it this way-it's like asking if a human woman can ovulate if she isn't married. Same exact thing. Can't stop the eggs!

6. Chicky Joy

Chicky Joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    That's what I thought. I just wanted a little reinforcement after getting some insistent comments from a few people about our lack of roosters. Thanks for the confirmation.

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:Just goes to show that "common sense"... isn't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by