1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Myurbanfarmers "The Resort" chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Korzak, Apr 2, 2016.

1. dadacat

dadacat Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2015
    OMG! Thank you so much for sharing your information here.

I am so sorry you had to go through that experience especially since you already have your babies sitting at home waiting for a coop. Have you decided on another coop yet? Please keep us posted since I am still looking for a good coop that I may be able to purchase online but at this point I have almost given up on it. It seems they are all too small or flimsy or I guess full of empty promises. I may hire a guy from craigslist who custom builds them in my area. I live in San Diego.

I was considering MyUrbanFarmers for a little while but will for sure not go forward. Again, thank you for saving us a lot of trouble.

2. jallen062

jallen062 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Eastern Mass
    Ugh. I know, they are the WORST. I want to leave a bad review on their facebook page! My husband is starting our new coop this weekend. My chicks are using this piece of crap for a brooder. I will have to keep them in it until our coop is built. Are you planning on building one? I really don't think any of the mail order ones are any good:(

3. JBIRDMED

JBIRDMED New Egg

Apr 6, 2016
    So I ended up just going to one of our local farm supply stores and they had some AMAZING coops. A little spendy but remarkably rugged and solid and well built. Id build my own but I'm a single dad and have precious little spare time. It's all about the immediate gratification lol. Yes I dont know the make of the coop but it will survive a nuclear blast. Super impressive I'll try and take a picture if I can and post it. Are there any grange coops or farm rural supply places near where you live? Luckily I'm in a very rural area so take for granted what we have access to in Regards to such things. On a side my oldest daughter officially named her four hens - those here from my generation will appreciate this. Rose, blanch, Sophia and Dorothy Haha

1 person likes this.
  4. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm guessing (based on overall dimension and carton size) the coop itself is more like or 4'x4' or 16sqft or possibly less, meaning 3 or 4 chickens max at 4sqft each...

The run then would be 12'x4' approx or 48sqft or less including the space under the coop, again more in line with 3-4 chickens max...

5. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    For the cost of some of these terrible prefab coops, you could buy and convert a metal shed into space for your chickens. Before I decided on building my hoop coop, I was looking at this economy shed. With just a little bit of work, you could have a decent coop that would house several more birds than virtually any prefab coop and it would also be sturdier and likely more secure. Adding a run would be easy to attach to the front of the building - if you were pinched for pennies you could even begin with an attached chicken wire run (not the best I know, but you could lay the foundation for an upgrade as you could afford).

6. dadacat

dadacat Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2015
    I have heard a lot from others that hey have converted a shed into a coop but when I look at the sheds available it seems like they don't have any windows. Wouldn't that be a problem for ventilation? Thanks for the input though, its definitely something to consider :)

7. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Get out the jigsaw and cut some holes, big holes. Then, cut some 1X4" lumber, and make some window frames for both sides of each opening. Then screw together from each side, sandwiching some hardware cloth in between. Scrap the doors that come with the shed. Frame the door opening with some 2X4"s. Build a couple of solid doors and a couple of hardware clothed screen doors for the warmer months. There you go.

1 person likes this.
  8. jallen062

jallen062 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Eastern Mass
    They are deleting negative comments off their Facebook page. I hope I can sell mine to someone looking for a rabbit hutch. Rip-off city.

1 person likes this.
  9. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    If I were you, I'd build a cattle panel coop and place your resort coop inside of it. This would give you a secure run and you could place your prefab coop under the tarped section of the hoop coop to increase the longevity of it. The cattle panel coop would also be easy to transition into full time eventually, but with the set up it gives you some time to plan out what you want to do long term...

10. Meldl

Meldl New Egg

Nov 27, 2015
    I purchased this coop late last year after doing a lot of research and talking with the owner extensively. He was very helpful and gave me some great advice. We live in an area that has a lot of predators and had to make some adjustments in order to predator proof. It. The coop arrived in December. We unpacked everything and all looked good. Due to a family illness we had to put construction on hold until March. Here are some bullet points of my experience so far:

1. Two of the three boxes arrived one day the third arrived 3 days later (delivery issue).
    2. The set up instructions are terrible. The pieces should really be numbered and reflected in the instructions with better diagram.
    3. Some of the trim pieces where breaking as we were setting it up. Not a big issue as these where only cosmetic pieces.
    4. A couple of weeks later (now April), I notice several of the roof slats warping. The sliding door into the coop also stopped sliding and pieces began falling off.
    5. I contacted the company on May 11th. Was told they could possible send me some replacement parts but I since it was past the warranty period (90 days) I would have to pay for the parts plus shipping. I was told they would show the pictures of the warped roof to the owner and get back to me.
    6. Today (6/13) I emailed them again as I had not heard back from them. By now the slats on the nesting box are now warped and the sliding door to the coop has completely fallen apart.
    7. I was told if I would like to pay for a new roof plus shipping they would send me a new one. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I understand I am past the warranty period and based on email responses am not expecting anything from them, I am not pleased with the customer service. I love the look of the coop, I am not thrilled with the overall construction.

I hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by