Myurbanfarmers "The Resort" chicken coop

Korzak

Songster
7 Years
Oct 25, 2014
Hamden, CT
Hi all!

We're getting ready for chickens, and weighing the pros and cons of building versus buying our coop.

It looks like we could buy this and have it shipped for the same amount it would cost us to build it ourselves, if we figure in the cost for our time to build it....

My Urban Farmers' "The Resort" coop

Has anyone used this coop, or would you mind critiquing it for us? It seems great for the six hens we would have, because we want them to have a LOT of room. I'm just wondering why the roosting bars are so low, and if there shouldn't be a vent higher up near the roof.

Thanks in advance!!!
Mark & Alice

http://myurbanfarmers.myshopify.com...ark-brown-and-clear-stain?variant=14016160391

That coop looks small. It doesn't give dimensions of the coop itself, but I'm estimating those roost bars at 3 1/2 feet wide with about a foot between them. 6 large chickens would be tight in there (I think they could only use two of those roost bars without staggering, and there's not even width to comfortably fit 3). It would depend on what kind of chickens you have. The roost bars are so low because the coop is small - and I'm guessing to go higher would interfere with the nesting box layout. Poor design, anyway, with the roosts below the boxes.

If you don't go with slatted wood for sides and roof - you should spend less than 200-220 building this. If you have scraps around it would be much cheaper.

With the dimensions being 12' x 5.7' x 5.6' I would calculate the square footage to be around 68.4 square feet.

Given that each chicken at a MINIMUM requires 4 square feet, i think that with 6 chickens your alright with the coop size as it gives around 11.4 square foot per bird. My only thought would be if the run is big enough for all six given that it's only a 12' run but no further dimensions given. You'll be wanting at least 10 square foot per bird for the run, though with a bigger coop you perhaps could get away with a little less though i would still opt for that as a minimum to avoid potential social problems occurring.

Very pretty! It seems from the pictures that it will have adequate ventilation, though i'm no expert on that. I always believe though that the size of your coop should always give room for a few more chickens, given that most of us always acquire more than we originally think!
wink.png

Another thing to think about as well is that since the run and coop are just sitting on top of the ground, burrowing animals may be able to dig under the run and or protection under the coop to get in. If you don't have animals like racoons or other predators that will be doing that, perhaps you won't need to worry about that then. Of course you probably could dig your own hardware cloth underground to prevent potential problems from those animals if you require that protection.

Happy Cooping!

I agree about the roosts - they are too low in relation to the nest boxes. As appealing as the design is in other ways, the low roosts would be a deal breaker for me. You will constantly be dealing with poop on your eggs, you simply can't teach a hen not to sleep (and poop) in a nest box.

Also, you don't need 6 nest boxes for six hens. Three is more than you need.

My sister and I bought a similar design for our six hens, but the roosts are level with the top of the nest boxes, since they're naturally inclined to roost as high as they can get, we have no trouble with them sleeping (and pooping) in the nest box. If we get dirty eggs, it's because the bedding needs refreshing - you also simply can't teach a hen to wipe her feet before she enters the nest box.

Our coop has three nest boxes, but they all like to use the same one.

The run size is OK - they're happy staying where the food and water are anyway. But with a run this size, you should also give them access to the great out-of-doors for at least a couple hours every day. The safest way is a tractor.

My sister and I decided to buy a coop simply because we don't have the construction skills and didn't want to learn on the job. The coop we bought is very well-made, I doubt we could have done as well. We bought it from a local guy who makes them, and if we had wanted a change, he would have done it. If you don't have the skills yourself, you should look for a similar person, we found our guy through Craig's List.

Last edited:
Wow. WOW! Thanks everyone! Looks like some people are just trying to make a buck off the backyard chicken movement. We will be building our own coop now.

Since we are getting chicks this week, we have plenty of time. Thanks so much!

I ordered this same coop - i paid in full and then needed to contact the company for a question. The only contact info is a single phone number or email. I left several messages and texts - finally the got back to me saying it would be shipped out on a specific date. That date came and went without any notification from the company. Again I called and texted over and over - not a single call was returned. Finally I texted asking if I had been conned - he replied saying there was something wrong with his trucking company - thats it - nothing else - three weeks after the deliver date I'm still texting calling and leaving messaged - still no reply - finally I threaten to reverse the charges on my account - i'm told its going out that friday - friday comes and goes and still no confirmation - I text all weekend - no reply. Keep in mind I purchased baby chicks under the assumption the coop would arrive in plenty of time according to the company. By now they are half grown and living in my garage. My kids are upset and the company is giving me nothing in regards to service or information. Finally the following monday (a month after the original ship date and three days after the latest "its going out now") I'm still being completely blown off so I call and have the charges reversed and I text him telling him. He replies and says "ok i'll cancel your order - its shipped and would have been there in a few days" I reply and say "THEN WHY HAVE YOU NOT SENT ME A VALID TRACKING NUMBER" still no reply to that question - his last reply - and I quote "good luck finding another coop"

Seriously the single worst experience EVER. There are several manufacturers of this coop - look it up on Amazon. BUT DO NOT BUY FROM MYURBANFARMERS he'll take your money and give you nothing in regards to service information or product.

Back
Top Bottom