NAIS They are at it again.

I am new here, so is it okay if I post a few links (that provide documented links - not just "NoNais") that might help people understand the basic issues?

Sharon S.
MilkNHoney Nubians
Illinois Independent Consumers and Farmers Association
http://www.iicfa.org/iicfa.htm

It is a bad idea. From beginning to end. There are several 'upset' threads on here about this. Some do not seem to realize the system involves more than they want you to know.
I will tell you that you need to look 'very' carefully at the wording on the form they want you to sign....it is not a misprint, or mistake, it is meant that way...you are giving away your property. No not exaggerating.

Edited to add: Just want to make it clear. I think NAIS is a bad idea. The last part of my above statement I thought was clear. Do not sign the paperwork without reading what you are 'signing' away.

Sincerely,
The Parson's Wife

Last edited:
I don't think ducks get disease so they would be exempt right? So at least if we cannot prevent it there would be another option for us? I would simply find a way to build an underground coop with grow lights and an basement door to access it instead of complying anyways though. NO ONE is killing my chickens, not even me.

Quote:
No. That is not correct. It absolutely does apply to backyard flock owners and all it will end up benefiting (if you can even call it that) is the commercial sized operations.

I believe it is also incorrect for anyone to have stated that it would be costly to the town. The cost will go directly to the animal owners. That is who has to foot the bill here.

It is an absurd program and has no business in the backyard flock owners or even the small farm owners world.

To read the proposal, go to the USDA website and search for National Animal Identification System. It takes some reading, but will sort of help you understand. The problem is that it is not final, in all the points, so what you read may change. I had it saved on my main computer, but it's not on my laptop and with my broken ankle, I cant get to it right now.

Here are the 33 species covered and yes - it will apply to even one chicken, duck, , emu, etc. It does not matter if you do not sell the product/livestock either.

CATTLE,(beef and dairy separately) SWINE, SHEEP, GOATS, HORSES, MULES, DONKEYS, DEER, ELK, BISON, ALPACAS, EMUS, OSTRICHES, CHICKENS, DUCKS, LLAMAS, GEESE, GUINEAS, PIGEONS, PHEASANTS, QUAIL,(turkeys) EXOTIC FOWL, CATFISH, TROUT, STRIPPED BASS, OYSTERS, MUSSELS, SALMON, SHRIMP, SCALLOPS, TILAPIA---turkeys are missing here and cattle are divided into dairy and beef. However, no beefalo are mentioned.

This is from the latest Tech Supplement with the New Business Plan and User
guide issuance (September 2008).
They also don't specifically mention zebra, but it is implied.
roll.png

For a very good beginning article that has references to not only the "Official Site", but also some legal definitions, etc. you can go here:

The Dairy Goat Journal:
http://www.dairygoatjournal.com/issues/84/84-6/Heather_Smith_Thomas.html

There is also a new article in the new Paper copy which is not yet on line.

As one who is currently getting state legislation through here in Illinois (actually IICFA is) - we encourage questions and dialog.

When the government is willing to give you something "free" - it is always good to analyze what it will cost you. We have.

It will be an implementation fee of $4,024 for the first year compliance (Vet fees for m/c injection, computer, reporting costs @3.50 per hour, reader, etc. etc.). Our entire feed/hay/vet cost in 2007 was $3,016. We have (at this time): 27 goats, 2 feeder steer, 1 donkey, 29 chickens. When our spring hatch goes up and kidding season closes we will have more critters.

If you would like to know what it will cost you there is a worksheet here titled A02.NAISCostsVsBenefits.pdf.
http://www.freetofarm.com/extras.html

Open for questions or comments -
Sharon Sabo
MilkNHoney Nubians
Illinois Independent Consumers and Farmers Association
http://www.iicfa.org/iicfa.htm

Muttipiemommy
Thank you for posting the link to that article which explains still more aspects of the fallacy that NAIS is for the benefit of animal product consumers. It becomes plain to see that who actually benefits from this extraordinarily intrusive program are big agri business and the manufacturers of a certain type of microchip. NAIS clearly is designed to provide cover for the lack of implementation of regulations to stop the spread of Mad Cow Disease (BSE), while pushing the family farm over the cliff.

This is the only point which I question in the article: "BSE is a non-contagious disease caused by cattle eating feed containing body parts of cattle with BSE. The sale of feed supplements containing rendered animal parts was banned in the U.S. in 1997." I am under the impression quite a few feeds contain rendered animal parts. Perhaps someone can set me straight.

Everyone should first look at their state statutes to see what is considered "livestock". Many legal terms such as this are very particular and they may tell you that it includes everything, but it really doesn't. The word "firearm" is a term also misrepresented often times. I have studied law including constitutional laws, commercial/business law, and tax law in depth. There are many laws Americans have been conned into believing they have to obey when in truth after looking at the specific law most Americans are not liable under those laws. I can give specifics in a later post. I'm curious to see what everyone finds out regarding the legal definition of "livestock" that is defined in their state statutes.

I still agree and have been for the last 2 years that we need to stop NAIS, REAL ID, and RFID usage for these purposes.

Last edited:
Quote:
They changed the wording of their proposal on the USDA site, since I first searched it a year or two ago. Now it is very brief and does not go into detail about the groups that would be affected by this legislation.

When it first posted the info they listed ALL livestock animals, even fish. The only people who won't have to pay for their premises registration and subsequent chipping of livestock are people who own large amounts of livestock~commercial growers~who will get government subsidies and other assistance to implement this program. They will not be required to tag each animal/bird but can just register "lots", as they will not be selling their animals on an individual basis, but rather in large quantities, or lots.

It is a plan that specifically targets the private, small farmer or backyard livestock owner.

Back
Top Bottom