1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Naked chicken

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChickyNamibia, Oct 27, 2016.

1. ChickyNamibia

ChickyNamibia Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2013
    I have a crop of 12-20 chicken depending on how many chicks I have. Now lately some of my chicken are almost naked and others have bare patches on them. I did find out I fed too little protein so I am feeding boiled eggs, raw mince, egg shells as well as crunched dry cat food now every day changing what I feed on a daily basis. Can this be the cause or is there another problem I should look out for? It is really terrible how 2 of them look. One is black and she only has her wings and a few patches on her body covered and the other one is light and used to be the biggest but due to the loss of her feathers she looks like a cartoon. I live in Namibia and we do not have as many possibilities here

2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Are they molting? Have some bug irritating them? Lice, mites, etc. Are they "beating" on each other?

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Where are you located??? What type of Chicken feed are they on?

4. ChickyNamibia

Jun 18, 2013
    They are molting, for sure but I have never seen it that bad. There are no bugs irritating them as I can easily find out about that since the cock starts crowing early in the morning if there are any pests around. He is my absolute alarm in this matter. There is only one hen they are pecking on and she is in quarantine at the moment as she desperately wants to bread and with those little feathers the eggs will never get hatched and we are going awayf for 2 weeks in 3 weeks time and my sitter will not be able to handle 2 hatches of chicks.

5. ChickyNamibia

Jun 18, 2013
    I am located at the Atlantic Ocean in Swakopmund. I have dwarf chicken

6. ChickyNamibia

Jun 18, 2013
    They feed on chick chick a special feed for dwarf chicken mixed with maize meal and they get layer mash every second day

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Like your doing....Up the protein...Feathers are protein....So by extra protein it will help...

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by