Naked neck - he or she?

The actual feathers I can see on this bird are not right for silkied feathering and there are no other Silkie traits visible on this bird, so I don't think it's a Showgirl / naked neck Silkie. I also don't think that it's stunted, though; I've seen plenty of super slow feathering chicks that look like this, both my own and belonging to others, and other than slow feather growth they were all healthy and normal chicks.

As far as whether it's male or female, I don't have a definitive guess. Most of the super slow feathering birds I've owned have been male, but not all of them, and the super slow feathering males I've owned were obvious by 6 weeks because of their comb and wattle growth. I'd give this one a bit more time before making any guesses, personally.

Its definitely at least 5 weeks and 4 days. That's how long ago she bought and brought it home.
Sorry, What do you mean by it's not a showgirl?
A showgirl Silkie. A showgirl is basically a NN with silkie features. 5wks is not too bad but it's still REALLY stunted!

Pic for reference

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220113_131318_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg
    Screenshot_20220113_131318_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 2
Ok SO, after further consideration... The lady she got it from just has all the chickens mingling .. so there is the distinct possibility that dear Nut is actually naked neck X silkie.... 😂😂 Apparently that fluff we can see on him/her is different from the chick fluff he had when she brought him/her home... If that makes any difference. He/she's definitely at least 6 weeks old. (But I agree, my own other breeds are 4-5 weeks and fully feathered). And he/she's apparently bigger than all the others and a bit of a bully...

Maybe that points to cockerel haha but the comb is not at all pink
She is NOT a silkie cross!

Back
Top Bottom