Naked Neck - Is it a variation or breed?

ChickenGirl555

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 22, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
844A0D53-1EF0-4923-BE56-D93CF5F3D7FD.jpeg

CD3E618D-DE70-4A70-A627-14E70D33411E.jpeg

This is my Little Naked Neck cockerel, Chewy, and I was wondering (like the name says) if Naked Neck is a breed or variation (i.e buff, Barred, etc.)? And if Naked Neck IS a variation, what breed is he???

The Naked Neck is a gene. The original one's were the Transylvanian Naked Necks. Here in the states, people are breeding them into every other breed, so it's going to get harder to find any originals here soon. The Naked necks are supposed to be more immune to diseases, more heat tolerant, and the less feathering mean's less plucking when it's time to butcher. I have been told that on average, the hen's will lay 4 eggs a week. I will be getting some of them myself in a couple more weeks.

They are both a breed and a variety.
The Naked Neck is a gene. The original one's were the Transylvanian Naked Necks. Here in the states, people are breeding them into every other breed, so it's going to get harder to find any originals here soon. The Naked necks are supposed to be more immune to diseases, more heat tolerant, and the less feathering mean's less plucking when it's time to butcher. I have been told that on average, the hen's will lay 4 eggs a week. I will be getting some of them myself in a couple more weeks.
Yes I've read about these facts, it's just when I was looking at some place you could buy chicks and learn about them, I saw they sold like Orpington naked necks, etc.

Naked Necks are a breed with specific SOP

However most folks are mixing them, which is why you see NN + other breed name, some folks are working toward creating NN variety of other breed. Different folks have different goals with them, some want to work on the breed, improving type, or egg & meat production or are working on a project color for the breed... others simply want to add the gene to their mixed flock, or breed as close as possible all characteristics of breed X but with NN gene. Still others are working on bantams. NN have been used to produce a new breed the Show Girl. I am unsure if good NN bantams exist, most I have seen on the net look like rejects from the Show Girl breeding projects (normal feathers, feathered legs may or may not have 4 toes or yellow skin... some times black skin) or have all wrong carriages and look like Old English Game bantam crosses to me. There are some LF game lines that are NN too.

So depends.

Some SOP info

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/naked-necks-3.53079/

Confusing ain’t it...

.... This is my Little Naked Neck cockerel,.... I was wondering... if Naked Neck is a breed or variation...

A naked necked chicken is a genetic mutation that was inbred, inbred, and finally inbred some more until the naked neck trait was fixed in the strain's DNA. The concept of BREED in chickens is foreign. All the genetic variations in domestic chickens are simply STRAINS.

It is correct that it is a genetic trait that can be bred into any flock... it is true that all chickens are chickens, thus one can argue breeds are strains, it is also true breeds represent a specific set of genetic traits combined in a specific way to create a specific result that people want to breed true thus more than a strain or line. That is why the use of the term breed and development of standards a group of people agree they are breeding for such as a specific look, purpose and goal as to maintaining certain genes. A Jersey Giant is very different looking and in size to a Japanese Bantam, they are not just strains or lines, they are breeds. All dog breeds are dogs too and can breed with each other but we have recognized standards for their breeds which people try to breed towards to maintain specific genetic traits.

Naked Necks have a Standard. There is more to that standard than they must possess just the Naked Neck gene, the SOP includes skin color, leg color, tail angle, body shape, egg color and more. Thus if bred to that standard they are a that breed.

He looks like a member of the breed, remember there is variance in breeds, also Hatchery birds are hit and miss on quality... but with careful breeding you can improve any breed you own.

Back
Top Bottom