Naked necks anyone?

Do you like naked necks?

• NO! They’re weird looking.

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • YES! I love them!

Votes: 39 79.6%

• Total voters
Well, I don’t exactly know what caused this breed. Yes, they stay naked. I think they were originally a Turkish breed.
Naked Necks are believed to be originally from some of the game birds in Indonesia and other southeast countries, like the Dong Tao, bred because they really like chicken skin over there.....
DongTaoGaHo.jpg

They were brought to Europe where they became the Transylania Naked Neck because they became popular in Romania.
I've been crossing mine with Bresse, Jersey Giants, and some others to improve dual purpose/meat qualities as they've been bred as ornamentals long enough that they've been getting kinda boney.
1212181654b.jpg

1206181455e.jpg
Here's some of my hens that are crossed with imported Transylvania lines:
1122181409g.jpg

And a newer cockerel that hatched from a blue egg. I'm hoping to make some NN/EE's with him.
1023181646a.jpg

Last edited:
The first two imported Transylania girls I'd gotten last year. I'm down to one black and two buffs left. Some have been rehomed and some have died.. :( The breeder I got them from was getting out of breeding and liquidating his flock. I also got my Bresse from the same breeder.
0729171342a.jpg

Chillin in the shade on a hot AZ day.
26233378_10215977089564581_304747730685654108_o.jpg

Some other punks I've raised. A couple of these boys are the father to a number of my current flock.
IMG_20171010_165545.jpg

I don't have any NN's but find them interesting. Just wondering...with all that bare skin, is sunburn a concern?
Nope, the red skin is basically the NN version of a tan. The more the skin is exposed the sun the redder it gets. Interestingly, it's not pigment, but blush. When I butcher and drain the blood when processing it drains away and turns pale again.

Nope, the red skin is basically the NN version of a tan. The more the skin is exposed the sun the redder it gets. Interestingly, it's not pigment, but blush. When I butcher and drain the blood when processing it drains away and turns pale again.

Thanks for the answer...I've been wondering about that for a while now :)

@cactusrota, the NN that a circled kind of looks like my NN. I think she might be a crossbreed. What cross is that one?
View attachment 1616944
That's from crossing a blue splash boy I had with all the Bresse hens I had at the time. I got 11 out of 11 eggs set (the Bressse were always very fertile layers), 4 pullets and 7 cockerels. They hatched out with some Jersey Giant, BCM, and mix crosses that I set at the same time. Some came out solid white so far and some with color leakage and one blue cockerel with gold/birchen markings. I have 4 all white pullets from other Bresse crossings from last year too. I've sold the Bresse just a week or two ago and have only the crosses now.
0830181037e.jpg
1122181408b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom