Naked necks anyone?

Do you like naked necks?

• NO! They’re weird looking.

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • YES! I love them!

Votes: 39 79.6%

• Total voters
Pics
@Mimi’s 13 I know that they don't have feather's there in those places. I think that is a good thing not only for those who want to butcher them for food, but it's also easier to see if there may be problems in those featherless area's on the bird. The Naked Necks can be bred to other breed's to get whatever size offspring that you want to work toward's, or even if you want to improve size of eggs or the ability to lay more eggs.
I really had wanted to breed her to a Silkie and hatch my own Showgirls, but Mrs. Biggles is a hatchery bird and may not have the best genes. But I will say, as far as her personality and temperament goes, I wouldn’t mind having more birds like her.

I really had wanted to breed her to a Silkie and hatch my own Showgirls, but Mrs. Biggles is a hatchery bird and may not have the best genes. But I will say, as far as her personality and temperament goes, I wouldn’t mind having more birds like her.

Silkies are pretty small chicken's, so you would probably need a smaller sized naked neck to accomplish that.

I was hoping that a Silkie roo and my NN LF would be okay. I knew that my NN cockerel would not work with a Silkie hen.

Silkies have the 5 toes, feathered feet, and they have the black skin, beaks, etc. I think whatever way that you go to create your showgirls, it would be best to use a naked neck that will match as closely in color to what the silkies are as possible. Otherwise it might be harder to get them right later on?

Silkies have the 5 toes, feathered feet, and they have the black skin, beaks, etc. I think whatever way that you go to create your showgirls, it would be best to use a naked neck that will match as closely in color to what the silkies are as possible. Otherwise it might be harder to get them right later on?
Since mine is Buff I was thinking a buff male.

So I've set aside an experimental pen for hopeful Naked Neck/Easter Eggers. Got my rooster that hatched from a blue egg, 3 Wheaten Marans I had gotten from Cackle hatchery last year, 1 black pure Ameraucana from a private breeder, and two other partridge NN hens. No idea if the rooster inherited the blue egg gene, just crossing my fingers. If he didn't then the offspring will all just lay various shades of brown except the Ameraucana's offspring should lay light green. If he DID inherit it, then I should get Olive eggers from the Marans, pure blue from the Ameraucana, and light green from the partridge NN's. The rooster and the NN hens all carry two copies of the NN gene, so I'm also hoping for some nearly clean necked NN offspring from them, too.
If anyone wants in on this experiment, I can start shipping eggs in a couple more weeks.
(best pics I could get as they kept moving around... )
0220191055g.jpg
0220191054a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom