Name that duckie! New rescues!

Canadian Wind

Duck Crazy Canuck
Premium Feather Member
Jul 25, 2022
Eastern Ontario
My Coop
My Coop
Well, I did it again. There was a local ad for rehoming four ducks, and looks like I got them. They all appear to be females, which is good since I'm down to just one right now and my drake is harassing everyone!

The ad said Rouen, Pekin, and Runner mix (after talking to her, the 'seller' said she's a teacher and these were a class project where she got mixed eggs to hatch). Now, one is clearly a Rouen, one is a Pekin, but the other two are NOT Runner, or one of the other breeds. Black looks like a Cayuga to me, which is nice since my drake is pure Cayuga. But what is that pretty gray one???

They all hatched on June 6th.

1660173206050.png

@Quatie

they know alot about ducks
the black one could also be a black east indie
uh the grey looks like a Swedish blue except it doesn't have the bib
do they have names yet?
Black East Indie are a bantam breed, though. And yeah, thought about Swedish Blue, thinking maybe that could be juvenile colouring?

Yup, after tons of deliberation, I've named them. Even though I don't have them yet, lol!

Pekin : Ripley
Cayuga : Zoe
Rouen : River
Gray : Delenn

That blue one reminds me of a blue swede but it is missing the bib. The color also looks slightly off to me, but it may be the light of the picture. Occasionally swedes will have very little bibbing. Here is my blue swede for comparison.

DSC_2083.JPG

The black one reminds me more of a black runner than a Cayuga, but that view is hard to tell. The runners don't have as much iridescence.

Here is a pic of my black runner, which shows it is hard to say for sure if that one is a Cayuga. She was getting indoor care here and it is the only good example of her that doesn't show her standing straight up.
PXL_20210801_023021158.jpg

That blue one reminds me of a blue swede but it is missing the bib. The color also looks slightly off to me, but it may be the light of the picture. Occasionally swedes will have very little bibbing. Here is my blue swede for comparison.
Lovely! The Swede is the only one I could find with that sort of overall blue. For all I know, this could be a mixed breed, but since these were hatched from eggs for a class project, I'd be more inclined to say they're purebred.
The black one reminds me more of a black runner than a Cayuga, but that view is hard to tell. The runners don't have as much iridescence.
Yeah, mine doesn't seem to have much iridescence. Here is another pic from the ad I'm getting them from:

1660184934458.png

She's still bent over, but legs seemed to far ahead for a runner, to my unaccustomed eye.

And what the heck is on that Rouen's bill? She looks like she's smirking...

Black East Indie are a bantam breed, though. And yeah, thought about Swedish Blue, thinking maybe that could be juvenile colouring?

Yup, after tons of deliberation, I've named them. Even though I don't have them yet, lol!

Pekin : Ripley
Cayuga : Zoe
Rouen : River
Gray : Delenn
nice i am not a duck expert and i couldn't tell how big the black one was i have been debating the grey one he looks exactly like a Swedish just where is the bib

Lovely! The Swede is the only one I could find with that sort of overall blue. For all I know, this could be a mixed breed, but since these were hatched from eggs for a class project, I'd be more inclined to say they're purebred.

Yeah, mine doesn't seem to have much iridescence. Here is another pic from the ad I'm getting them from:

View attachment 3219017

She's still bent over, but legs seemed to far ahead for a runner, to my unaccustomed eye.

And what the heck is on that Rouen's bill? She looks like she's smirking...
Yeah. Blue runners will be all blue, but it looked too round to be a runner. That second picture does look more like a Cayuga. The view can change how they look soo much. I recently got a couple of khakis. From the pictures, I was thinking Cayuga and khaki or two cayugas. I saw them in person finally and it was two khakis.

View attachment 3218954

Here is a pic of my black runner, which shows it is hard to say for sure if that one is a Cayuga. She was getting indoor care here and it is the only good example of her that doesn't show her standing straight up.
View attachment 3219014
Blue is a blue cochin. I would know, all the blue cochins ive ever owned have had webbed feet. Its a given when raising them. Wait, what are we talking about again?

Yeah. Blue runners will be all blue, but it looked too round to be a runner. That second picture does look more like a Cayuga. The view can change how they look soo much. I recently got a couple of khakis. From the pictures, I was thinking Cayuga and khaki or two cayugas. I saw them in person finally and it was two khakis.
Need to wait until Monday to see them in person. :( That's when I'll be picking them up. I'll know for sure if I have Runners then! :D

Back
Top Bottom