Name that duckie! New rescues!

Mine turn into Cobra Ducks when they go broody!
Yeah a lot of people's ducks do. Mine would rather risk a cuddle them get off the nest. Even the ones that hiss don't bite, just guilt trip. And I have to say it is a lot harder to take eggs from a sullen duck than a hissy angry monster. My mallard derived ducks are more the ones that charge, and get all hormonal, but they still don't bite. We are lucky we have pretty sweet ducks.

I've only ever had one duck and Muscovy at that who got aggressive when I looked under her butt to see if there were any eggs deposited there. She would grab hold and pinch the daylights out of me. Even grabbing hold of my long sleeve shirt and not letting go and I could lift her up off her nest. She went through henopaue at 10 and is now 14 and thankfully no more bruises on my arms.

ALL of mine that were sitting this year (so, four) got nippy and hissy. And yes, they would try to bite. Those beaks can hurt!

Only one managed to hatch out any eggs (remember I said the Muscovy drake was shooting blanks?). The Magpie hatched three eggs from a communal nest, but one of the babies drowned. We'd taken the rest of the eggs and put them in the incubator, but there was no a/c in the house and it got waaaaay too hot and killed the eggs, except one that had hatched and that baby wasn't doing well. We managed to get it stable and it is now almost full grown.

It has been one heck of a year. It's like something is telling me to give it up, but I won't. I'm too stubborn!

So, the verdict is in! Kinda... The black one is Cayuga, maybe a mix as she has a few white feathers on her chest.
Gray is a mystery! Again, probably a mix. No white on her. She does look a lot like a Swede though, without the bib.
And the Pekin is definitely a mix. Her bill is almost pink-coloured, just a bit darker than an Aylesbury. And she does not have the Pekin size.

They are still settling in, so will try to get some pics later on when I get a small enclosure set up for them.

I need a bigger coop...

Been texting back and forth with the previous owner. They are all supposedly from the Runners she'd hatched for her class the previous year, and given to her friend who had a mixed flock with a Pekin, a Rouen, and a Cayuga drake. Somehow I doubt that Rouen I have is a mix though...

Her ducks had been grays and a white/blonde (her words). I'm thinking some communal nesting was probably going on, especially since Runners aren't known to be broody.

They hatched on June 6th.

20220816_114843.jpg

The Pekin mix. Her bill looks darker because of the fabric of the enclosure (it's a show cage for when I was showing my cats). That's just dirt under her eye.

20220816_114800.jpg

The other three monsters, lol! Cayuga is on the bottom left, under the gray. And that Rouen is LOUD!!!

They are beautiful. Have they met the residents yet?
Thanks! And somewhat. You can see in the second pic that Mist is investigating. Actually, most of the flock was there, mostly because they wanted to be around me. The Muscovy seem more interested, which I found surprising.

In four days, I went from five 'regular' ducks (counting the three halfgrown ducklings) to 13!

My daughter is planning an intervention...

Back
Top Bottom