Naming birds

I name all my birds. my birds will answer and come when called.
big_smile.png

We had 3 chicks, now down to 2, but they have names. My son named one Ginger after the feisty hen in the movie "Chicken Run" and the other is named Corsair, as she had what looked like a bent wing when we first got her (as in the aircraft Corsair). She's fine now, but the name stuck!

New to chickens -- couldn't imagine not naming them. The first six were easy (curry, madam mao, schmecker, seniorita, taco, and minerva). Then we got two Poles and Marie Antionette was easy for the hen, but the other we fear is a rooster and it probably won't last long so it has no name. After that we picked up 6 Rhode Island Reds at TSC ($1.59 each!) and we can't tell them apart. We hate to objectify and build class distinctions in our flock, but so far, they are just "reds." Maybe, if we can ever tell them apart they will be marx, lenin, trotsky, emma, gus, and stalin.

my little sister named my chicks . So my RIR have the names: fuzzy bear, junior, wingding, sunny, fuzzy bear JR., and I have 2 that I haven't named yet and she won't name them.

I think you should name your birds. Ours are all pets so of course they have names:
Olympia, Penelope, Hazel, Vanda, Rita, Pheobe, Ida, Lillith, Fatima, Ophelia, Valentina, Charlotte, Beatrix...

If your DEFINITLY going to cull your birds then you shouldn't name them. But if there's even a SLIGHT CHANCE they will live past 1-2 years I think you should give 'em all cool, creative names! Leave the naming to your wife if she wants to do it that much and just don't get attached to them if you don't want to.

jumpy.gif

I am hesitant to name the chicks only because of the roo-situation....soooo..
I wait until sexing (4weeks for most breeds) and then I name away!
take care

I have some that are 2 years old and unfortunately are still nameless. There is one that is named pretty girl (my son named) and our Roosters have names. Other than that they all come when you rustle a bread bag then they know they are getting treats.
lol.png

I suggested my wife name them seeing as she thinks they need names. But she said their my chickens and she didnt want them in the first place.

Funny thing about that is I've caught her sitting there talking to them, sneaking them treats, playing with them.

Back
Top Bottom