Naming birds

ridgefire

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
Northern Michigan
My chicks are going on 3 weeks old. I still haven't named them yet. Is it wrong of me not to name them?

I jokingly tell my wife well there's BBQ, soup...but it doesn't matter which bird I point to. Its hard to explain, I guess I'm just not that attached to them. I mean I wouldn't want to see anything happen to any of them. I know I wouldn't be able to cull any of them. But it just doesn't matter to me if they have names. My wife on the other hand feels they should have names...hence the BBQ comment.

Who's right? Name or no name for the birds

Last edited:
I always name my animals, especially those with as many unique personalities as chickens. I just feel like they deserve to have a name in their lifetime. Then again, I tend to work at creating strong bonds with my animals, so my perspective may be different.

Well, my BF suggested that we name them after food. KFC, Rotisserie, Cordon Bleu, Stir Fry, etc. But I just didn't find the humor in it. But, on the bright side, I did name one Squawker. She WILL NOT shut up. I think she takes after her mom....
big_smile.png

My chickens all started with names, but they have been forgotten in some cases, and changed in others. Truthfully, I can't tell the ones of the same breeds apart. Hence, the RIRs get called Red, or Rhodie, or Rhoda... The rooster is Rudy, and the others are whatever I feel like calling them at the moment.

I'm naming mine as they develop personalities and as we bond. So far, I have 2 out of 6 named. I've got all sorts of names picked out (no BBQ though) so the naming will happen. At first, I was hesitate to name them in case I lost them. That is probably pretty warped logic but I must think it isn't going to bother me as much if they don't have a name. In reality, it will probably bother me more.

Maybe you should just let your wife give them names.
smile.png

The task of naming 19 chicks seems daunting to me. I immediately named my two roos, Zeus and Thor; but there's only 2 of them, so easier. I originally named them Apollo and Zeus, but after seeing how Apollo acted during their first thunderstorm, he became Thor.
I have names pick out for the girls: Athena, Gaia, Hecate, Hera, Pan, Diana, Juno, Luna, Venus, Durga, Kali, Krishna, Bast, Lilith, Nuit, Ra, Brigid, Dagda, and Isis is the little girl that survived the excursion into Charlie dog's mouth. Whether I actually ever use their names, except for Isis, is another story.
I think they do just fine being called "Here, chick, chick!"

well how long have you had them? i try not to name them until i have them for 4-5 weeks old cause then u get attcched to them and then its harder for me i'm raising 2 chicks for the first time ever and i didn't name them til i had them for 3 weeks or so, so they were about 4 weeks. IDK personal opinion. by the way i have Chicken Tikka "Massla" and Chicken "Madiera"!

I hear ya...we have 17 chicks and so far only one of them has a name. My son calls her "Mellow" because she was completely laid-back the first day we got her.

I'm hesitant to name them all, because I know that realistically we are likely to lose a few along the way. I certainly hope we don't, of course, but it would be harder to lose a chick with a cute little name, I think.

I name mine. My Red Sex Links are named Holly, Molly, Polly, Cally and Sally and my Ameraucanas are named Faith, Hope, Charity, Lovey, Joy and Desiree. Needles to say they are all girls. Thank Heavens. LOL:jumpy:yiipchick:weee:ya

Back
Top Bottom