• Only the ones I’m not going to eat.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • No I don’t name them

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Only the ones I can tell apart.

Votes: 11 8.7%

• Total voters
Velcro leg bands?
They're small velcro cable ties. The end slips into a hole so even if the velcro is undone, it usually won't come completely off.

You can cut them shorter to make them less bulky on the chicks leg if needed.

IMG_20210719_163914911.jpg

IMG_20210719_163935880.jpg

With a flock of 7 completely different birds with completely different personalities, of course they have names!
My RIR siblings are Plum(sauce) and Nugget (corny, I know but it’s cute)
Lav orpington: Dorian Grey or Dori
Easter egger: Lexus or Lexi
Partridge silkie rooster: Rex (he just looks like a Rex!)
White silkie hen: Barbara Baby after her mother Barbara who we call BB
BB’s chick: BBB/BB3 (Barbara Baby Baby or Barbara Baby 3) which sounds somewhat like Phoebe!
While they don’t know their names (and the silkies are often referred to as the fluffy ones) I feel it’s just nice to attach a name to the bird

I only have 4 chickens, and they are all different breeds so I can easily tell them apart. When I had two Plymouth Rocks, I could tell them apart by their combs, tails, and size. One also had a braided band. For naming them, we just gave them a name that suits them. I can't explain it better than that.

I usually don't call them by their full names. They all have nicknames we call them instead. Red Rocket is usually Red, Black Bullet is just Bullet.

I name most of my chickens, I have 46 so they don't all have names lol.
I pick names on whatever suits their little personalities or what they look like lol or sometimes just random names. Some of my chicken's names:
Chabo (Japanese word for bantam)
Daisy
Speckle (speckled sussex)
Sprinkles (speckled sussex)
Ringo (beatle ringo)
Peck
Scratch
Sparkle
Goldie (baseball player)
Champion
Cupcake
Pancake (Buff orp)
Godzilla (bc he's a huge mean rooster)

My roo is Darl. The girls are Darl's Chickens.

First batch, now hens: Little, the smallest chick; Middle, who was a bit bigger; Lark, who made the first peep.

Second batch, arrived June 5th: May, a Blue Australorp named for Aygous' May in another thread (RIP, dear); Stormy, whose feathers look like a stormy sky; Widget, because I knew a dog with that name, and thought it was cute.

Back
Top Bottom