Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Only the ones I’m not going to eat.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • No I don’t name them

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Only the ones I can tell apart.

Votes: 11 8.7%

• Total voters
I’m going to try hatching a few eggs next year when we get ready to add new chicks on the spring, might try to get cream Legbar so we know who the Roos are nice & early & can try to find homes ahead of time. Our chick order will definitely be sexed if I hatch! I think my son would love watching the eggs pip & chicks coming into the world! ❤️ Your kids must’ve loved it!
They absolutely did! Maybe almost as much as I did. I'm so excited for next week when our next batch hatches. I have so much more experience, a brooder and chicken coop actually ready to go this time - so less, stress more fun!

Yes we name our chickens, and I use plant names- we have Rosie, Daisy, Tulip, Cosmo, Violet, Daffodil, Willow, Ivy, Iris, Lily, and Poppy. As far as telling them apart, we have either different breeds or different looking Easter Eggers so we can tell them apart, but they make leg bands with different colors or shapes to tell apart different birds of the same breed.

I am already thinking of possible names for the chicks I’m picking up this week. So my question is, do you name your chickens? How do you decide on names? If you have multiple of the same breed, how do you tell them apart?
Thanks for participating!
We have 4 ISA Browns each born at the same time. Each one has different color distribution and one is bigger than all the rest. Shirley has more white feathers than any of the others and her tail is white. She is also the smallest chicken. Mabel is the bossy one and the biggest one and has mostly all brown/copper feathers. She likes to sit on top of the coop and call all of the other chickens to get inside in the evening. Then there are Lavern and Lucy. Lucy is in the middle in size and has a mostly brown back up to her tail which is brown with a couple of white feathers. And Lavern is average size and is mostly brown all over. Shirley is the friendliest chicken right now. Coming up to you and pecking my boot and letting me pet her. So, don’t worry. Study your chickens and you will be seeing their differences. If not, give them all the same name or call them Chickie. 🙂

I optimistically called my one Silkie Roxanne Hen L'oeuf - then she started crowing - tried Rocky but Roxanne stuck as she/he knew that name. The other Silkie I knew was a rooster and called in Stanley the Stallion Chicken. Sadly both were killed recently by a fox :(

I have three other Silkies that are around 14 weeks right now so I don't know what sex they are. From the beginning they were the McNugget Triplets: I have Fluffy McNugget (typical fluffy silkie), Curly McNugget (Frizzle silkie) and Henny Penny McNugget (looks like an Old English Game x Silkie - and likely a rooster....). All three know their names, and simple commands like, 'Go to bed' - when I put them away at night; or 'Go in there' - their safe place when I move horses around in the barn; and of course 'Here chook, chook, chook' - always some treat involved with that call!

There are also seven, 5 week old barnyard mix chicks here that were hatched out and they also have names and are learning them - they are not as easy to train as the Silkies I am finding as they are always running somewhere doing something and never sit still - the Silkies are way more tame and quiet.

Chickens are new for me but I find they are cunning, devious little devils, and remind me of those wee raptors on Jurassic Park that attack the little girl on the beach - I am frequently glad they are not 6' tall! And I have seen my Silkie Fluffy eat an 8" snake so doubly glad they are not looking at me as being on the menu hahaha.

2 Ayam Cemani (Velvet and Pansy, can't tell them apart, I just call whichever one the first name that pops into my head),
2 Easter eggers, Nutmeg (our poor little cross beak) and Marigold
Barred Rock is Poppy
Gold Lace Wyandotte is Tiger Lily
Mystic Marans is Magpie
Olive Egger is Emerald
Silver Laced Polish is Gracie

I do call them by their names...but I don't think they know their names....except Poppy, she side-eyes me when I call her name...hahaha!!

I have anywhere from 20- 30 chickens at a time, and they all have names. Some are more random then others. (For example, I have two barred rock hens I cannot tell apart, so they are Patty and Selma, from the Simpsons) The rest have names and it helps when my husband and I are discussing an injury we notice, or someone was being mean to someone, etc.

All of the chickens, However, naming is purely based on if one comes to me (or someone else in the family) for the chicken. I had one Easter Egger who I finally named "Nameless" because she just didn't inspire anything.

I have a four-year-old, and she has named some of the birds from this round and they're kind of my favorite names ever. I know have: Pecky Becky, Silly Sylvia, Darkaness, Style, Sunflower, and Luna named by her.

Back
Top Bottom