Naming My Hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kjfrogster41, Oct 13, 2011.

1. kjfrogster41

kjfrogster41 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    Belfast, ME
    Just a question. I have been advised not to give my hens names. However, they all have very distinct personalities and they like hanging out with me and visa versa. Is it really such a bad idea? I do think of them as pets even though we have them for the eggs. Thanks for your collective advice.

2. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    We have named ours, but they all have 'food' names because we do plan to turn them into dinner once they are no longer producing eggs. Crockpot, Drumstick, Oregano, Barbecue, Shake&Bake, Stirfry, Cordon Bleu and Skillet.

3. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    I name all of my chickens!! They even know their names and come to my when i call them. I even put colored bands on their legs, because at one time i couldn't tell them apart so this helped me learn their names. If they are concidered pets, they deserve names. Here are some of their names.....Travis, Persy, Jimmy, Bonzie, Sandy, Dellila, Big Mama, Betsy, Gabby, Fog Horn, Debbie, Billy, Lola, Dixie, Daisy, and Zoe.[​IMG]

4. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    do you plan to eat them when they are no longer producing? if so, don't name them, you'll only get attached. if not, go ahead!

5. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

gotta name them. It's just easier to say Daisy did this funny little squawk today rather than "that one brown chicken with the fluffy feet and the little beard, you know the ditzy one that has the floppy comb? she let out this funny squawk"[​IMG]

Just saves time. [​IMG]

As for naming your food, well, I thought that was part of the point of raising chickens. now you know who you are eating. that poor grocery store chicken never even had a name [​IMG]

6. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

I say name them....could you post pics....we would love to see them...

7. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    Quote:I am not going to eat mine. I knew before i named them they were just for egg purposes and pets. I don't have any negative feelings for those who do eat them, i just can't do it!!

8. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I name mine. and I eat them.

9. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    You need to name them with the names like "Hitler", Satan, or Sadaam,and Osama and such,thata way when you go out and kill them you can come back in and say" I took take of Hitler...mhwahahahahaaaa!!!!! [​IMG]

10. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have resorted to naming a few that are trained. Unique / distinctive names are easy for birds to distinguish so individuals they can be be called out of flock for handling or display. They can make good portion of the sounds we make, even when produced by different speakers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by