naming of my birds

catdaddy66

Songster
10 Years
Nov 18, 2009
Lugoff, SC
I have a small flock of day old chicks coming in 29 days and ordered 5 each of five breeds. These are Rhode Island Reds, Australorp, Barred Rock, Black Sex Links, and Speckled Sussex. My son and wife are not very original with naming suggestions so I thought I could ask the members of BYC for some quality choices. What I was thinking of doing was to name the five from each breed with names from pop culture moments/icons/times. For example, I could name the RIR's (all american bird) with characters from The Andy Griffith Show. Or the Australorps named for great women in Star Wars. So, if you get where I'm going with this, I would LOVE to hear your take on memorable names for flock!

There are women in Star Wars?

Do all have to be pop culture? You could do sets of things, which is very useful when some of them look too similar to tell apart. I have Dottie and Spottie, exchequer hens. Cute, utilitarian, and they rhyme. Easy for non-chicken people to tell who I am talking about when gesturing to the flock.

I also have a group of CM pullets I call "the girls", only 2 are named. One is "Goldy" because she is OBVIOUSLY not a pure CM, as she has gold feathers, legs, and beak. The other one is "Androngenous", since she IS a girl but has gynourmous waddles and comb. Bigger than her brothers, even. I also have three "Chip"s: they are very bland-colored EEs with cheeks.

I named my coop..."Chick-a-roos of Mayberry". I used characters from the Andy Griffith show: Barney, Opie, Aunt Bee, Emma, Thelma, the Mt pilot girls (Daphne & Skippy and of course, they really are sisters!)....had to find a home for Andy (too many roos). Then I had a chick that looked like a Doodlebug and threw off the whole theme!
lau.gif
sorry, I'm sure you really wanted to hear all of that!

I bought mine in pairs: Gold Sexlink, Black Sexlink, Buff Orpinton and Ameraucana.
Lucy & Ethel, Oprah and Gayle, Buffy and Willow, Thelma and Louise and I have 1 white Ameraucana - you guessed it - Madonna.

Last edited:
Quote:
Princess Leia, Mon Mothma, Queen Amidala, Aunt Beru...just to name four....yeah, I used to be a bit of a SW Geek!
gig.gif

You could also use names that all start with the same letter. Like: Cassy, Clarissa, Cathy, Caroline, Cheryl.

"M" names are always nice: Maude, Milly, Mildred, Molly, Melissa.

How about "J" names: Jessica (or Jessy) Jennifer, Julie, Jill, Janet.

Why limit yourself to simply iconic show names? Get creative! They honestly don't care what you call them. Just so long as you have goodies for them when you call!
lau.gif

Quote:
I was a geek too, but I could only think of Leia and Amidala. Not a lot of strong women in there...only the royals get dressed up, and they all seem to die horribly. I was just looking at the angles, you know?

I named my ducks after the female characters from South Park. I have Wendy, Shelley, Lexus, and I used to have a Bebe (hawk got her). I also have Chrissy from my very first trio of ducks. They were named after 3's company...Jack, Janet & Chrissy
big_smile.png

A few of mine have musical influences, I have Janis (joplin), Grace (slick) and Fancy (reba m. song) and then I named my newest roo after a movie character...walter (big lebowski). Pickles is named after one of my favorite foods
smile.png
Have fun!

Since we have not yet helped with what you asked for (pop culture names) I present:

Dozer

Named after the bad guy in Ghostbusters 1, because of the hairstyle. How's that for random Pop Culture reference? I've been thinking about re-naming her Beaker, though.

Back
Top Bottom