Naming the Farm

carolynm

Songster
11 Years
Apr 5, 2011
Bailey, CO
Ok guys and gals, I've read some of your threads- some of your coops and places have the most "eggcellent" names. I could use your help naming mine. Names are a personal thing I know, but maybe you guys could give me some feedback, twists on some names I've come up with so far?

A few facts:

We have 18 acres bordering the lost creek wilderness area in Bailey, CO . Deer Creek runs through our property. This property was owned in the past by some very entrepreneuring individuals. There is a dam on the creek from which eletricity was generated to provide power to the property. Fish were farmed in concrete ponds and deer creek was channeled through them. Up above the ponds and creek we have old foundations from where fox were raised. There is an old shop with a cold room where I'm guessing furs were stored. The room was cooled by water piped through a complex piping system (I told you these people were entrepreneurs!). At one point the farm was called "Silver Cloud Fox Farm"

We searched hi and low for 4 years before finding this treasure. The views are to die for. From my office window I have a framed view of Mt Rosalie (13800'), and a wonderful view down Deer Creek Valley in which our farm is located.

I raise Australian shepherds, and have a small colorful flock of Katahdin sheep "supposedly" for herding. Not much herding done yet since my working aged dogl is just to ADD to do herding. I hope to fix that situation with a puppy this year. I also have ducks (call ducks and soon Anconas). The ducks are "supposedly" for herding too...at least they lay eggs! I also have a couple of bantam cochins-a splach and mille fleur, and hope to add calico cochins to our flock. The farmhouse is ruled by our fat Calico Cat.

This is a place of beauty and changing color (I know where they got the name Colorado from lol!). In the summer the meadows are dotted with a pallet full of wildflowers. The skies are gorgeous. The corner of our property is marked by a grand old Ponderosa pine. The winter brings its own pristeen beauty. Barely a day goes by with out me remarking on something of beauty.

Pics of our place can be seen at http://neighborlyplace.blogspot.com

Some of our front runners so far are:

Kalyko Korner (we are a corner property). Kalos means beautiful in Greek....a play on Calico for the colored animals we raise

Stellar "something"-our first lamb ever was "Stella". This place is Stellar...it needs a suffix

Come Bye "something" -Come Bye being a herding command...not much herding yet, but it is planned. I like the play on words-my blog is "Neighborlyplace"-so Come Bye-meaning come on by.... and also could be "Come Buy" lol.

Fat Kat Farm-Kat for Katahdin

Rocknberry-this was our farm name in Ontario...not quite so appropriate for here but still a cute name (our place in Ontario was nothing but rocks n berries)

So if you were to pick which would it be? This will also be the basis for my herd name with the Katahdin registry and perhaps Kennel name (if I ever get back into breeding my Aussies).

Creative suggestions welcome!

Carolyn

Last edited:
Cool creek farm? Deer creek ranch? Green meadow farms? Creek valley farm/ranch?

I don't know, just a few ideas...
Good Luck!
frow.gif

Keep them coming you guys are doing great...I don't want to use fox (cuz they prey on my critters), don't want to use Deer Creek...everything is Deer Creek down this road. I like Dancing but not Dancing Creek. The Shire is cute but I missed the association having read the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit about 30 years ago (yipes). Would love to incorporate Dog in the name, I like Idioms...one other I though of was Sheep Eyes..

Back
Top Bottom