1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Naming your chicks......

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jolyn, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Did you all have as much fun naming your little chicks as I am having? I don't even have them yet and i have six awesome names picked out. I'll let my boys pick what chick gets the name but i'm naming them. Hahaha:D

I love country music soooooooooooooo i have picked some of the best female country singers of all time.......drum roll please................

Loretta
    Dolly
    Patsy
    Reba
    Shania
    Wynonna

I love it!!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

How do you pick names for your little ones?

2. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    When we got our first chicks, I named our little bantam blue cochin Lola.. cause I sang that song "Copacabana" at the VFW that night, and she reminded me of "Lola.. she was a show girl" cause of her "feather pants". (ok, so maybe the tequila helped that vision along) My son named our other baby Junior, cause that chick took a shine to Will immediately. We lost Junior two days later.
    Our next baby, our bantam RIR, we named Pinoccio.. because when we first got him, he perched on Will's finger, and everytime Will's hand moved, the little chick's head bobbed, and Will said he looked like a puppet.. only with no strings.
    Our other 3 were a group effort.. our mystery stripped chick my cousin Amy named Bambi cause she said it looked like a Bambi. Our tiny black chick Will named Bob. Don't ask me why.. he can't even tell you what inspired the name, LOL. Mom said we should name the black chick Token.. because it is our only black chick.. she's terrible! LOL And Coconut, our sweet buff cochin.. well, when she sat down, she looked like a little coconut.

TaDa!

3. Flycropper

Flycropper Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I've have chicks 12 I'm raising. My sons have named 5 of them.

The Rhode Island Reds
    Lissa
    Julianne
    Pigeon

Black Sexlink (or Barred Plymouth Rock: How can you tell the difference in a chick?)

Oreo
    Pepper

They are still working on the other 7

4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:That's how I used to name my sheep when I was in 4-H. I had ewes with almost all those names. [​IMG]

5. blb

blb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm a nanny to 3 kids so let them name them. They are 7, 5 and 2. The chicks are Darth Vader, Princess Leia, hena, daisy, and cotton. Cotton turned out to be a roo so will be gone.

Can you tell the 7yo is into Star Wars?? lol

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Well we named the five i bought Poachie(passed away last night),
    Sara who is prop. a roo so we renamed her poachie,
    Chicken little and Cocoroo(because of the color)
    i have to disagree however with Wynona and Shania being one the best, did you forget about Tanya Tucker, Crystal Gayle, Tammy Wynette but i agree on Loretta being the greatest ever. At least you didnt name them after the [​IMG] Dixie Chicks [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  7. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    We've got 14 coming. We hatched three in Feb. and gave them names that could be changed to male names which looks like a good thing. We already know Olive is Oliver. Prima may be Primo and we're pretty sure that Georgie is George. Primo was DH's grandfather's name and George was mine. We may name the new ones after our aunts. I don't know. All my other hens have been named for their colors for the most part. Or we'll come up with a different theme, like Greek goddesses or something. The russian orloffs will have russian names though. DH has an aunt named Olga (she's Italian) which gave me the idea to use the aunt names. That would give us:
    Olga
    Doris
    Dolly
    Rita
    Faith
    Joyce
    Eloise
    Bea

Our grandmothers were:
    Nellie
    Jenny
    Ruth
    Doris

8. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I like old fashioned names or names from movie or tv shows. Some, I've found out, are pretty common among us chicken folk, such as Thelma and Louise. Other names I've used are

Henrietta (EVERYBODY needs a Henrietta!!!)
    Marilyn (she was my naked neck and was named after Marilyn
    Monroe because she was so "beautiful". HA!)
    Tillie
    Pansy
    Betty
    Fiona
    Tahlulah
    Alice and Trixie (from the Honeymooners)
    Lucy and Ethel (another typical pair of names people use)
    Laverne and Shirley (from tv show of same name)

Anyway, you get the idea. My daughter says I just keep getting chickens because I like to name them!! [​IMG] hmmmm

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  9. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Quote:Haha you're funny!!! I thought of Tammy but it wasn't fancy enough......[​IMG] and I have a friend named Tanya so i thought it would be strange naming a hen that. Haha!!!

I'm surprised you don't think the Judds were one of the best....Shania i can understand though. No i wouldn't use the Dixie Chicks....i wouldn't do that to another living creature. [​IMG]

10. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Mine are:

Rose: RIR-My fav Stephen King Book "Rose Madder"
    Nemo: BO- B/c she has one small wing
    Sadie-BO

I still have 2 EEer's to name and a another RIR to name. I had a couple of names picked out, but I think I might redo them. Not sure if I like them or not. I had Noodle and Petie.

When I was asking people for names, my boss said I should name them:

Chicka B
    Chicka D
    Noodle
    Dumpling [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by