Naming your chicks......

Jolyn

Songster
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
Northern California
Did you all have as much fun naming your little chicks as I am having? I don't even have them yet and i have six awesome names picked out. I'll let my boys pick what chick gets the name but i'm naming them. Hahaha:D

I love country music soooooooooooooo i have picked some of the best female country singers of all time.......drum roll please................

Loretta
Dolly
Patsy
Reba
Shania
Wynonna

I love it!!!!!
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

How do you pick names for your little ones?

When we got our first chicks, I named our little bantam blue cochin Lola.. cause I sang that song "Copacabana" at the VFW that night, and she reminded me of "Lola.. she was a show girl" cause of her "feather pants". (ok, so maybe the tequila helped that vision along) My son named our other baby Junior, cause that chick took a shine to Will immediately. We lost Junior two days later.
Our next baby, our bantam RIR, we named Pinoccio.. because when we first got him, he perched on Will's finger, and everytime Will's hand moved, the little chick's head bobbed, and Will said he looked like a puppet.. only with no strings.
Our other 3 were a group effort.. our mystery stripped chick my cousin Amy named Bambi cause she said it looked like a Bambi. Our tiny black chick Will named Bob. Don't ask me why.. he can't even tell you what inspired the name, LOL. Mom said we should name the black chick Token.. because it is our only black chick.. she's terrible! LOL And Coconut, our sweet buff cochin.. well, when she sat down, she looked like a little coconut.

TaDa!

I've have chicks 12 I'm raising. My sons have named 5 of them.

The Rhode Island Reds
Lissa
Julianne
Pigeon

Black Sexlink (or Barred Plymouth Rock: How can you tell the difference in a chick?)

Oreo
Pepper

They are still working on the other 7

I'm a nanny to 3 kids so let them name them. They are 7, 5 and 2. The chicks are Darth Vader, Princess Leia, hena, daisy, and cotton. Cotton turned out to be a roo so will be gone.

Can you tell the 7yo is into Star Wars?? lol

Well we named the five i bought Poachie(passed away last night),
Sara who is prop. a roo so we renamed her poachie,
Chicken little and Cocoroo(because of the color)
i have to disagree however with Wynona and Shania being one the best, did you forget about Tanya Tucker, Crystal Gayle, Tammy Wynette but i agree on Loretta being the greatest ever. At least you didnt name them after the
tongue.gif
Dixie Chicks
tongue.gif

Last edited:
We've got 14 coming. We hatched three in Feb. and gave them names that could be changed to male names which looks like a good thing. We already know Olive is Oliver. Prima may be Primo and we're pretty sure that Georgie is George. Primo was DH's grandfather's name and George was mine. We may name the new ones after our aunts. I don't know. All my other hens have been named for their colors for the most part. Or we'll come up with a different theme, like Greek goddesses or something. The russian orloffs will have russian names though. DH has an aunt named Olga (she's Italian) which gave me the idea to use the aunt names. That would give us:
Olga
Doris
Dolly
Rita
Faith
Joyce
Eloise
Bea

Our grandmothers were:
Nellie
Jenny
Ruth
Doris

I like old fashioned names or names from movie or tv shows. Some, I've found out, are pretty common among us chicken folk, such as Thelma and Louise. Other names I've used are

Henrietta (EVERYBODY needs a Henrietta!!!)
Marilyn (she was my naked neck and was named after Marilyn
Monroe because she was so "beautiful". HA!)
Tillie
Pansy
Betty
Fiona
Tahlulah
Alice and Trixie (from the Honeymooners)
Lucy and Ethel (another typical pair of names people use)
Laverne and Shirley (from tv show of same name)

Anyway, you get the idea. My daughter says I just keep getting chickens because I like to name them!!
tongue.png
hmmmm

Last edited:
Quote:
Haha you're funny!!! I thought of Tammy but it wasn't fancy enough......
big_smile.png
and I have a friend named Tanya so i thought it would be strange naming a hen that. Haha!!!

I'm surprised you don't think the Judds were one of the best....Shania i can understand though. No i wouldn't use the Dixie Chicks....i wouldn't do that to another living creature.
wink.png

Mine are:

Rose: RIR-My fav Stephen King Book "Rose Madder"
Nemo: BO- B/c she has one small wing
Sadie-BO

I still have 2 EEer's to name and a another RIR to name. I had a couple of names picked out, but I think I might redo them. Not sure if I like them or not. I had Noodle and Petie.

When I was asking people for names, my boss said I should name them:

Chicka B
Chicka D
Noodle
Dumpling
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom