Naming

PAheart

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 2, 2010
FLORIDA!
get to know its personality first :] lol... I have to name like 12 new ones too...
smile.png

give it some time, it will come to u.

gryeyes

Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers
10 Years
Sep 22, 2009
My slice of heaven in Somerset, CA
I use girls' names, and associate them with concepts, like "Rebecca" is an old-fashioned name, sounds fairly North Eastern, like Plymouth. "Lacey" is associated with Silver Laced Wyandotte.

My rooster was supposed to be a pullet, and I named her "Carly" in memory of my sister who died recently. When Carly started to crow, I dropped the "y" and he became Carl.

Lots of folks use flower or plant names (Violet, Pansy, Rose, etc.).

I have a brand new chick which is itsy-bitsy compared to the others I bought the same day, so I thought of her as "Bitsy" and, in keeping with old fashioned girl names, I am calling her "Betsy."

Hope these samples help.

lauren6

Songster
Feb 12, 2010
Roanoke VA
Maybe name her after one of your favorite book or tv characters? I love the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlene Harris so one of our chicks is named Sookie
smile.png
edited to add- the chick in my avatar as a matter of fact
smile.png

Last edited:

kqsnider

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 2, 2010
Thomasville, NC
My ten yo daughter "researched" chicken names on the internet and came up with 2 post-its full of crazy Hawaiian names. All very lovely names, but a little complicated and nobody will remember them. So her best friend likes Eve. We settled on whatever hawaiian name she picked out plus Eve and the rest of the family is allowed to call her Eve for short. Too funny. She is really into this. She came to me last night and said, "I really hope my chicken likes me." We bought a leghorn that I want to call Miss Prissy after the cartoon. I think we will have to wait to see them to name the other three. I'm looking forward to it. The chickens are giving us all something to talk and laugh about as a family and it's a good thing.

1sttimer

Songster
9 Years
Feb 15, 2010
yea i was supposed to get my chick monday at the store and its thursday and they still dont have any buff orpingtons.

gryeyes

Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers
10 Years
Sep 22, 2009
My slice of heaven in Somerset, CA
Quote:
Oh, so THAT'S who snuck into my chicken run and named MY Buff Orpingtion, huh???!?!?!

Actually, she's named for Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and it's just a COINCIDENCE that she happens to be a Buff Orpington. (She's the one in the forefront of my avatar.)

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom