Nankin Bantams

They are a little bigger than the Dutch bantams, 22-24 oz for the cocks and 20-22 oz for the hens. I know my mille fleur dutch weigh about 16oz for the hens (all I have right now, I think the cocks were up to 20 oz). The duch are the smallest "recognized" breed, though we all know those amazingly cute seramas are smaller.
smile.png

Hi. I've been interested in Nankin bantams for some time. For info on this rare breed, go to Nankinbantams.com .

Also, for serious and dedicated breeders, there is the Nankin Bantams Discussion Forum at http://rarepoultryalliance.com/index.php .

Right now, there are some Nankin bantam eggs up for bid on eBay. I believe the person offering them is a breeder is in one of the Carolinas.

Nankin bantams are much less common than many other breeds, but all accounts I've read praise their tameness and incubating and mothering ability. The dedicated fanciers of this breed are currently working on a standard description, something that is needed since the Nankin bantams in the USA are from a number of attempts to either reinvigorate or recreate this breed. There may still be some Nankins in Great Britain and on the continent and it would be wonderful if someday fanciers could obtain some of that germplasm to add to the American gene pool of this breed.

I wonder if this roo was a Nankin? I thought he was too small to survive the winter in a coop w/another older roo so put the poor beauty in the freezer and now I've been kicking myself ever since...ignorance is NOT bliss!!!
Sept08mybirds008.jpg

and, possibly this pheasanty looking hen is also one?
Sept08mybirds023-1.jpg

I would say none of those birds are Nankins.....here are a couple (cruddy) shots of my rooster and hens. I will try to take some more, but I need to wait and let my camera dry out. Yes, dry out........I left it outside last night and it is wet.
barnie.gif
hit.gif

hen
nanhen2.jpg

rooster
nankins.jpg

pullet (9 weeks)
nanRCpullet.jpg

I raise Nankins as well. They're single-comb, and some of the hens are buff, some are chestnut like the roosters. They're offshoots of Roger Parker's birds in Missouri.

Here's my original pair:
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1171469583038181576QoGBMc

Alicia,
My roos aren't all that aggressive, so maybe yours just have a genetic tendency toward it. I will be letting my hens set in the spring, so if you would like to try bringing in some new roos to your flock, I'd set some of the cockerels aside for you that have sweet natures.

I'm looking for some additional Nankin hens, so if you have any pullets to spare this spring maybe we could make a swap. I'm in northeast Mass.

Back
Top Bottom