Nankin Discussion Thread

Pics

RioLindoAz

Sleeping
13 Years
Jul 8, 2007
Yuma, Arizona
This is the place for breeders and hobbyists to discuss Nankin Bantams.
Feel free to share pics and ramble about improving this rare breed.

From Feathersite:
Sometimes called Nankeens, the Nankins are Asian and reputedly originate from the Nankin or Nanking region of China. Claims have been made that the fowl actually originated in the East Indies (modern Indonesia and Malaysia) and were named for their similarity in color to a light reddish yellow cloth that was produced in Nanking and widely exported. However the name originated, China has a long history of trade with the East Indies, and Europe could well have encountered the fowl in both areas.

The Nankins reached Britain in the 1700s. Suggestions that the fowl originated in Britain sometime after 1847 are clearly erroneous. Nankins are often considered true bantams without a large counterpart, but both large fowl and bantams were originally imported to Britain. Both were much admired for their black tailed light chestnut red coloring (more brilliant and lustrous in the males, approaching orange red on the head and saddle). Sadly, large fowl with blue or green legs faced serious prejudice in Britain and disappeared before the middle of the 19th century. In Hong Kong in 1975 I talked to an Englishman who had seen a flock of large fowl in the New Territories that reminded him of Nankin bantams. The large fowl may still exist in the Orient. The sprightly bantams were for a time one of the most popular breeds in Britain.

The Nankin occur with both rose and single combs. Although single comb fowl predominated in old strains, Sir John Sebright is believed to have used rose comb Nankins in the development of his famous Sebright bantams. I've noted that green legs were at one time present, but slate blue seems to have predominated and this is how they were standardized. A pink stripe on the outside of the shanks is considered desirable. The Nankin is Sebright in type (but not hen feathered) and New Hampshire in color (except the black on the tail is more prominent and the female hackles have no black ticking). Some stock that I saw in Britain in 1972 appeared to have recent infusions of New Hampshire blood. Reportedly, both the original Buff and Black Tailed Buff Rosecomb bantams were created by crossing Nankins with White Rose Comb bantams.

Nankins in North America are very rare. The few I've seen are of good type. It is difficult to believe that such a distinctive, historic fowl has come so close to extinction. This is a bantam breed that should be an SPPA project. (Editor's note: In The Practical Poultry Keeper, 1909, Lewis Wright describes the Nankin as "one of the old breeds of Bantams, and at one time nearly disappeared, but attempts have been recently made to re-introduce it. The best tail to our fancy, is a pure black, with the coverts slightly bronze. The comb is rose; and the dark legs should be perfectly clean.")

Some helpful resources:
Nankin Pics
History of the Nankin
BYPM Nankin Article

*Also:
Please be sure to sign up to the Nankin Forum.
Things are pretty slow there, but the few members are VERY experienced with this rare breed.
Help heat up the discussions!​

Last edited:
I love my Nankins! Sweetest birds ever....here's some pics of a few of mine...

19748_partridge_wy_120.jpg

19748_partridge_wy_019.jpg

19748_nankins_007.jpg

19748_chicpic_084.jpg

19748_chickens_020.jpg

19748_partridge_wy_023.jpg

19748_chicpic_023.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Your birds look amazing! Do you breed them?

Thank you! I have raised them for several years now and have culled quite heavily. I will probably sell a few eggs in the spring.

Congratulations on the new Nankins!
clap.gif

I actually had the same problem with feather picking with the Nankin chicks I had shipped to me. There were orange slices in the shipping box with them and the juice got all over the chicks. They were sticky and wet when they arrived. I noticed them pecking at each other from the start. I think this is what got mine started. They didn't stop (even though they were in a very large brooder) until they were big enough to turn out to free range.

I will have to go out and get some pictures of my rose comb and single combs.... I have noticed that the hens tend to vary slightly in color. I have some thate are real light wile others are normal to slightly dark. Anyone have this problem? I will have to get some pics to show you what I mean. They are all full blooded by the way.

Hi there. My son just recently discovered the Nankin bantam while researching for his 4-H speech. He was fascinated with the Nankins and would like to try them next. We've raised chickens for a few years, and my son really enjoys them. We'd like to get some Nankins in the spring if we can locate either chicks or hatching eggs. Would any of you have some then? We're located in middle TN.

Quote:
I will probably have some extra hatching eggs this spring. Just PM me sometime if you are interested.

Also, Mary Ann Harley in SC has some good quality Nankins. She usually ships chicks in the spring, if you want to go that route.

Back
Top Bottom