Nankin Discussion Thread

This kind of goes with TNFarmerLady's post.

I just saw Ideal hatchery's Nankin page. I like their disclaimer that their birds represent the breeds "variety" and that they are not show quality. I wonder why they even bothered with nankins? nankins are criticaly endangered on the ALBC's poultry list (american livestock breeders conservancy), so why would they try and pump out huge quantities of nankins with "variety"? It will give true breeders more trouble then help. IMO. What do you all think?

So to TNFarmerlady I would say do research and ask for parent or flock photos before you buy a nankin just because it is a "nankin". Good luck buy the way.

Quote:
Ideal's Nankins are not pure Nankins. They are Old English Game Mixes made to look similar to Nankins. What they're doing is wrong, as it can ruin the entire true Nankin Bloodline.
We all have to realize; commercial hatcheries like Ideal NEED to make lots of $$$ to keep their business going, and they do so by selling birds they can easily obtain. DO NOT purchase Nankins from a hatchery.

TNFarmerLady,
I believe Mary Ann Harley has just a few chicks left to ship off before Spring. PM me if you want her email.

Schweiger,
Nankins hens are supposed to be chestnut colored. Cull out any hens that are too light in color, as our goal is to obtain darker hens.

KyBlue,
I have got to get my hands on some of your eggs or chicks the Spring!

I Figured something was wrong with ideals birds. What is considered chestnut? Here are some pictures and tell me what you think. I also have more nankins than this but currently my pens are all messed up and the little buggers slip in an out of the kennels like snakes. I am in the process of changing my pens and when I do I will post better pictures of my flock. Tell me what you think of these birds.

021-4.jpg

019.jpg

018.jpg

In the middle picture, if you will notice, is a nankin that is lighter that I have been considering culling. I also have another one that is even lighter. It is harder to get a pic of the light one as I just let her free range.

also I forgot to add that the 2 black and white hens are silver laced wyandottes and are NOT nankins, hahaha. Just thought I would point this out.
smile.png

Quote:
The hen in the center of the 2nd picture looks like she has real nice, even color. The lighter hens can be used if needed though, just make sure they are mated with a nice color roo. Then cull from there. Some years ago, people crossed OEGB blood into some of the the Nankins and you still see the Wheaten influence come through sometimes. I have a couple older hens that I have kept around for broodies, not breeders, that are like this.

IMO, the roo in the last picture is a little too light in color. It also looks like he has some lacing in his hackle which can throw pullets with dark stippling on their backs or uneven coloring.

They all look like they have good leg color.

The Nankins pictured by Schweiger:

Hard to tell type by the angle of the camera: you need to put them up on something like a barrel and take side shots that are even with the bird not looking down on them.

Color: not bad at all, but missing the blotch in the tail of the female and the males sickles need more chestnut outlining (but not all the way to the end).

KyBlue: Nankin color is wheaten based. Yes, OEG bantam was added by the original importer Dempsey, but understand Nankin color is wheaten based.

Quote:
"Buff" Color Scale

Buff Red
<-----------------------------------------|----------------------------------------->
^
Chestnut

The hen between the two roos is an awesome example. If any of you disagree with my scale, copy and paste it to your post for correction.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom