Nanny cam in the coop? Anyone ever done it?

pitbullmomma

Free Ranging
6 Years
Apr 30, 2017
...unapologetic Jersey Girl...
My Coop
My Coop
OK, am I being paranoid, or has anyone ever used a nanny cam for their coop/run? I'm worried about when I finally put my babies outside (they're only 2.5 weeks old, but I like to plan ahead) and I'm not home...seems like a nanny cam would be an awesome investment. Anybody done this?

I moved my chicks into a large enclosure in the garage last night. They are so great! My one MFD is learning to fly. She is fearless and beautiful! I love my chickens so much, I can't stand it. My husband thinks I have lost my mind, but oh well...

Not crazy, we have a Q-see camera system to monitor our coops and property. It is viewable on our phones and tablets so when we are away from home we can watch for problems. The peace of mind was worth every penny. We have a couple of cameras set up to watch broody spaces to keep track of new mothers and others for overall views of pens inside and out.

OK, am I being paranoid, or has anyone ever used a nanny cam for their coop/run? I'm worried about when I finally put my babies outside (they're only 2.5 weeks old, but I like to plan ahead) and I'm not home...seems like a nanny cam would be an awesome investment. Anybody done this?

I moved my chicks into a large enclosure in the garage last night. They are so great! My one MFD is learning to fly. She is fearless and beautiful! I love my chickens so much, I can't stand it. My husband thinks I have lost my mind, but oh well...
What a great idea! I would not get anything else done though...

How much did that cost, if you don't mind me asking? I feel so nervous about having my chickens out (even in a totally enclosed run) when I'm not home. And I live in a nice, farmy neighborhood where lots of people have backyard chickens, lol! But I lived in Detroit for 19 years and that city paranoia never really went away (which is not necessarily a bad thing in this day and age).

Thanks! :)

Cindi

Search the systems on Amazon... you can get systems from $300 to $1500... there are some 2 or 4 camera systems for less and if you watch Walmart and Best Buy shelves you can sometimes find them on sale pretty cheep.
You have to decide how high of a quality camera you need, the cameras seem to be the deciding factor on pricing. Camera resolution and night vision ability are the biggies.
The other consideration is how much storage you want, some DVR systems allow up to about a months worth of memory, others only about a week before it starts to overwrite the older stuff.

I have a FLIR system by Lorex Technologies which includes 2 wireless cameras and a DVD player for viewing and recording. It has great range in both daytime and night vision modes. It was around $300 and well worth every penny if you are an overly-paranoid chicken mom like I am.

Thanks much, you guys are great! I truly love it here...everyone is so nice, and so helpful. :)

I am definitely going to invest in some kind of security system. It will be well worth the investment to have peace of mind. Also, it will be really fun (and probably addicting, but ohwell!) to watch my chickies' antics remotely...

Just 2 hours after I made my post about the camera I was sitting in my living room watching TV (the security camera is ran through a computer monitor that sits right next to the TV so I can watch both), and I saw one of my neighbor's free range chickens frantically trying to get into the chicken run with my hens. I knew something was wrong so I grabbed my gun and ran out on the deck and saw a fox running off with her towards my woods. I shot and he dropped her, but picked her up again so I shot again and he dropped her again so I just kept shooting. He ran off in one direction and she ran into my woods in the opposite direction. I followed the trail of feathers and found her. She is recovering in my utility room in a dog crate and I'm confident she will be okay. Had it not been for that security camera this beautiful girl would be dead.
WP_20170519_12_28_07_Pro.jpg

Back
Top Bottom