Narcolepsy in Chickens???

Zanna

Songster
Oct 14, 2010
Jefferson, Oregon
That was sort of a joke but that is how my pullet acts. I have a 3 1/2 month old FBCM pullet that I got as a month old with several others. Many got sick, some died. Not sure what exactly of but the main symptom was respiratory. Long story short, "Wheezy" got moved into the house for a months rehab and isolation. I gave her a 10 day dose of duramyacin, ACV and Vits/Electrolytes in her water. She pulled through. I then moved her to a brooder box with 2 other pullets her age for two weeks (she had gotten very bonded to me in the house and I was worried about the reincorporation into the flock). She bonded with them immediately and I no longer existed
sad.png
After the two weeks, all went back to the main coop with my flock of 70, mixed age chickens. She has been out there for two weeks now and seems really healthy, eating, drinking, normal poops, but she falls to sleep all of the time, while eating, after I pay some attention to her, etc. This morning she was in a corner all by herself sleeping while everyone else was milling around waiting for me to let them out for the day. She does not peck, scratch, get excited, etc. like the other chicks/chickens, just can't seem to stay awake for very long at a time. None of the other chickens are picking on her so that is good. Any ideas, I am very attached to this girly!

I have a rooster that falls asleep like this sometimes & he sleeps real deep. I have to shake him awake sometimes. Otherwise, he looks and acts normal and is a great rooster. He is the friendliest rooster I have ever had, real easy-going. At first, I thought there was something wrong with him but he's never been sick or anything.

Yes, I have read the previous posts that I could find and nothing quite fits with my girl. She is fully feathered and very healthy looking at this point. And, it would be highly unusual for a chicken to truly have narcolepsy! Her behavior may be normal for her, I know people who need to sleep a lot, or it may be some remnance of the undiagnosed disease/problem that she developed shortly after I got her. Anyone else with ideas?

I think mine has narcolepsy. She’s a wild rescue; about the size of a small crow. I’ve named her Finster. Close to a year old and only lays about once a month. Indoor, because she’s so small she’ll get beaten up by the others, but she’s completely normal otherwise. I put her in the run away from the others to dust and sunbathe. But when I pick her up, EVERY time I pick her up, she falls asleep in my hand. She’s standing up on my bed, she falls asleep on her feet. She’s on the floor or couch.. falls asleep. It’s all day. Just drops her head and snoozes. There’s nothing abnormal about her at all. I thought it wasn’t possible at first, but I’m now convinced it’s true. Either that or she is one exhausted bird 😂

That was sort of a joke but that is how my pullet acts. I have a 3 1/2 month old FBCM pullet that I got as a month old with several others. Many got sick, some died. Not sure what exactly of but the main symptom was respiratory. Long story short, "Wheezy" got moved into the house for a months rehab and isolation. I gave her a 10 day dose of duramyacin, ACV and Vits/Electrolytes in her water. She pulled through. I then moved her to a brooder box with 2 other pullets her age for two weeks (she had gotten very bonded to me in the house and I was worried about the reincorporation into the flock). She bonded with them immediately and I no longer existed
sad.png
After the two weeks, all went back to the main coop with my flock of 70, mixed age chickens. She has been out there for two weeks now and seems really healthy, eating, drinking, normal poops, but she falls to sleep all of the time, while eating, after I pay some attention to her, etc. This morning she was in a corner all by herself sleeping while everyone else was milling around waiting for me to let them out for the day. She does not peck, scratch, get excited, etc. like the other chicks/chickens, just can't seem to stay awake for very long at a time. None of the other chickens are picking on her so that is good. Any ideas, I am very attached to this girly!
Did you ever get an answer? And how’d she do? I have a FBCM pullet who is very similar to yours. I hope yours had a happy life🐓🐓🐓

Our rooster "Rooty" has narcolepsy. He was an egg farm rescue rooster, yeah rooster. For over two years he acted normal, for a rooster, a bit aggressive to people but did well with a flock of about 10 hens and another rooster who was the boss. The coop got breached by three stray dogs and they viciously attacked the flock killing the boss and two hens, and injuring others, Rooty survived but ever since the attack he developed narcolepsy and extreme growth of his comb and wattle (not shure if there is a correlation). Otherwise he does fine. We are thinking it could be PTSD from the attack or an unseen injury to the brain. Have any of you others had similar attacks to those suffering from narcolepsy? Can anything be done to help the chicken?

Back
Top Bottom