Narragansett Chicks in more that one color?

countryangel3182

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Berlin, NY
This spring I bought 2 Narragansett Toms and 3 Narragansett Hens along with 16 of there eggs to hatch. I hatch the eggs and got 7. 3 of the chicks are yellow and the rest are brown. I though maybe the previous owner forgot to tell me he had some white turkeys too and he cross breed them. So I was fine in assuming this. They all eat the same
droolin.gif
. Well I now have 25 eggs I collected myself from the Narragansett and they started to hatch so far 2 brown and another yellow/white one. Is that normal?

hi sorry I don't know anything about turkeys but want to hijack just to say that I love your avatar!!

I used to have this pic as mine:

184618_1857563888185_1513518073_1945036_7129975_n.jpg

Hope you find your answer about the turkeys
smile.png

i recently found out that a turkey hen can be fertile from one tom for around 2 months or more! I got eggs from a friend, she had 12 beltsville hens,and 5 toms. She separated them from the other turkeys (notably a blue slate tom and royal palm) at the beginning of january and i got the eggs in march. when they hatched, the blue slate was father to more then half, royal palm with just under half the brood then 2 lonely whites! Guess the gals like the the colored toms better. just by shear volume of 5 to 2 you;d have thought the beltsvilles would have gotten in more shots then that! They were seperate for 2 months, and still crossed, and i think she continued to get crosses for a while longer!
Thanks
Sib

Quote:
Wow thats a long time to be fertile from one kind of father. I wish I still have the guys e-mail address from where I got them from. Just for sake of finding out what they are crossed with. My guess is a Palm. It's not a big deal to me. They are all going into the freezer anyway.
wink.png

Im not sure what a single gray gene does to the narragansetts, but if they have been crossed with royal palm some time back, and both parents carry a grey gene, the yellow poults could be royal palm. Just a thought. What would a b+b1cgcgngng or a b+b+cgcgngng look like?

Last edited:
I have 3 narragansett hens and 1 tom and have been hatching for 3 years. I always get a few yellow chicks. I kept one from last year and she is beautiful, mostly white with black markings on her wings and tail. I've read years ago someone bred "silver" narragansetts but they never caught on. I think my birds must carry these genes because I have no other turkeys. I would think for butchering, people would prefer the ones that have a lot of white.

we have 4 narragansetts from a hatchery.the tom and 1 hen are bronze and the other 2 hens are silver.i would be almost sure that the hatchery would not have cross breeding.isnt the royal palm some kind of sport of the narra?

Last edited:
I had a Narragansett hen last year. I also had a Blue Palm. I bought the hen from a guy that had several toms and all different breeds. She laid 14 eggs and sat on them. 8 of them hatched out healthy birds. We got 2 that looked like mom, 5 black ones and 1 blue slate. We still have the blue slate ( at least that is what we think he is). He runs our farm. He's very gentle and tame.

Back
Top Bottom