Narragansett Chicks in more that one color?

here are pic's of my multi colored Narragansett chicks.
54132_dscn4171.jpg

54132_dscn4169.jpg

54132_dscn4171.jpg

In your second picture, the light poult on the far right looks very much like a bourbon red.

The light is not great, but the small one just in front of the waterer looks like a golden Narragansett or red-bronze. For this to have happened, one of your parent Narragansetts would have to have been golden (carrying a single red gene). Is one of your narragansetts a little yellow where they are usually grey?

Do you have any pictures of the parents?

54132_dscn4119.jpg

here are the parents. They are supposed to be from a hatchery. According to the man I bought them from this spring. I will try to get better pic's of the chicks later.

Those are not pure narragansetts. The one in front is a red-bronze which explains where the the red bronze poult came from. The one in back certainly has narragansett genes, and it also looks like it has a red gene, which would make it a golden narragansett, but the wing coverts look too dark. It may have something else in it as well. We cant see if the wings are barred or not. If they are carrying black-wing genes, the all-yellow poults could be regal reds. Bourbon reds, such as the one in the photos, could also be produced from this pair, although they would be carriers of narragansett genes.

Also, you will not be getting narragansetts if the red-bronze is not carrying a narragansett gene. And I don't think it is, because hens with one narrangansett gene look like narragansetts, not bronzes. This explains why most of the bronze/narri poults aren't showing any frosting yet. By three or four weeks, narragansett poults show some lightening of the back and wing feathers, and most of yours do not. The exception is the light headed poult with the frosted dark back. I do not know what that will grow up to look like.

But at least the mystery is solved...you don't have two pure narragansetts, so they cannot breed true. By paying close attention to the different colors you do produce, you may be able to deduce quite a bit of what genes are hidden in each bird!

Last edited:
Quote:
hit.gif
$150.00 down the drain. I was tring to breed, hatch, and sell the chicks. Thats what I get. They are my 1st turkeys so leason learned. Now I am going to have to start over.
rant.gif
he.gif
Thank you for your help. I will try and get better pic's of each chick.

Quote:
hit.gif
$150.00 down the drain. I was tring to breed, hatch, and sell the chicks. Thats what I get. They are my 1st turkeys so leason learned. Now I am going to have to start over.
rant.gif
he.gif

$150.00 for what? A pair of turkeys? If that's the case then I need to move where you are. You can still sell the poults, they will be great eaters or pets.

Quote:
hit.gif
rant.gif
he.gif

$150.00 for what? A pair of turkeys? If that's the case then I need to move where you are. You can still sell the poults, they will be great eaters or pets.

For $150.00 I got 3 hens 2 toms and 16 hatching eggs, but I now I am down 2 hens. 1 dropped dead in the run for no apparent reason and just two nights ago something got the 2nd hen.

Last edited:
Well, that's a great deal for 5 grown heritage birds and 16 eggs! $30 bucks a bird + free eggs. Sorry you lost 2 but its still early enough for you to find some Narr poults or eggs for next year and you alread have Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner covered!

Back
Top Bottom