Heritage turkey mating

Cbishop58

Chirping
Aug 26, 2020
Hi all I have a 3 yr old Red Bourbon tom he had a friend a Brown tom to live with but a fox killed him.
8 months ago we got him a Narragansett Hen she is 2 yrs old. This is the first time he has been with a female.
My question is my tom has tried to mate her twice with no success?
She will crouch down for him and calls him over. He tries to mount her not sure if he has successfully mated her.
How do I know if they have been successful ? They do free range on area about 1/8 acre with grass.
I also have made several areas for my hen to nest. She likes to be around my Banty chickens all were hatched on my property.

When I start finding eggs I leave the first one marked as a bait egg otherwise they find a more hidden spot. Then I look for a bullseye
Screenshot_20210204-062450.png

Hi all I have a 3 yr old Red Bourbon tom he had a friend a Brown tom to live with but a fox killed him.
8 months ago we got him a Narragansett Hen she is 2 yrs old. This is the first time he has been with a female.
My question is my tom has tried to mate her twice with no success?
She will crouch down for him and calls him over. He tries to mount her not sure if he has successfully mated her.
How do I know if they have been successful ? They do free range on area about 1/8 acre with grass.
I also have made several areas for my hen to nest. She likes to be around my Banty chickens all were hatched on my property.
If you get to watch the whole mating, at the end the hen will lift her tail and the tom will twist his around to perform the "cloacal kiss".

If you get to watch the whole mating, at the end the hen will lift her tail and the tom will twist his around to perform the "cloacal kiss".

Got to see this yesterday with my blue/red bronze hen. At first I was thinking dang big red your sideways buddy like you said tail went up he turned and it was done. He’s anybody tried presenting a hen to a tom?

Got to see this yesterday with my blue/red bronze hen. At first I was thinking dang big red your sideways buddy like you said tail went up he turned and it was done. He’s anybody tried presenting a hen to a tom?
There are old posts on here from a member who believed in imprinting his turkeys. In order to get his turkeys to breed he had to stand there while a hen would present herself to him and wait for a tom to approach and breed her.

Yes I did that today. I think my Timmy red is not so sharp. He got on top of my hen stood their but the hen did not lift her tail. Timmy just stepped all over her back.

Back
Top Bottom