Nasty backend

ShawnaLeigh

Chirping
May 21, 2019
I have a hen that keeps a nasty backend. She is the only one of my hens that has the nasty bottom. I have have hens in the past with nasty bottoms so I dipped in warm water and cleaned up but would have several at once then I would worm everyone, clean nests and everything would be fine except for her but now this is the second summer and she has a giant piece of poop hanging close to her vent. I am worried about flies and maggots soon. The problem is she is EXTREMELY skiddish and I can’t get near her at all. I have tried to go in at night as well and she goes crazy and jumps off the roost! Any suggestions? I give them yogurt, cabbage, ACV, oatmeal, apples,and other fruit as it is available

I recommend adding 1 Tablespoon/gallon of apple cider vinegar to the water daily for the next week. Apple Cider Vinegar is very effective in chickens and humans and is a great probiotic. Also, add a small spoon of yogurt daily for the next week as a treat. This is all going to flush out the bad bacteria and keep the good. Everything listed is natural. You can also add the probiotic powder to the feed: https://www.chewy.com/fresh-eggs-daily-poultry-probiotics/dp/256483

A great way to treat it is offering a molasses flush consisting of 1/2 Cup of molasses per gallon of water - free choice for several hours then replaced with fresh, plain water

Make sure that especially for the next week you make sure their water is clean. Also, make sure to discard old wet feed immediately. Adding sea kelp to the affected area is a great option as well, here is the link: https://www.chewy.com/fresh-eggs-daily-coop-kelp-organic/dp/256479

I hope this all helps and I am so sorry about your hen! Praying!!

Do not use antibiotics, those take away good, and bad bacteria. In this case, the chicken needs all the good bacteria it can get, use probiotics. I don't know how to help with a skittish chicken, so I guess you will just have to work hard to catch it and put it in a place where it cant get out so that you can clean it.

I have tried to go in at night as well and she goes crazy and jumps off the roost! Any suggestions?
You're going to have to be assertive and grab her and remove the poop.
Hold her wings to her sides and have someone help hold or trim her.
Best to trim the poopy feathers off to about 1/4-1/2" from the skin.

I give them yogurt, cabbage, ACV, oatmeal, apples,and other fruit as it is available
I'd cut out all those extras and supplements and stick to a good chicken ration and clean plain water.

You're going to have to be assertive and grab her and remove the poop.
Hold her wings to her sides and have someone help hold or trim her.
Best to trim the poopy feathers off to about 1/4-1/2" from the skin.

I'd cut out all those extras and supplements and stick to a good chicken ration and clean plain water.
yogurt is great for feeding a chicken with pasty but. It helps remove bad bacteria and flush it away. ;-)

yogurt is great for feeding a chicken with pasty but. It helps remove bad bacteria and flush it away. ;-)

probiotics are actually good for chickens because it takes away bad bacteria in which chickens need to get rid of during a pasty butt infection.
This isn't pasty butt per se......and most good chicken rations already have probiotics.

I used
It actually does very little and won't do a blessed thing in this instance. Vent gleet isn't an infection
yogurt for my chicken when it had a pasty butt and it helped to get out the bacteria. I noticed my hen pooping more, I trimmed the feathers and it was better after some time. You should check out the other post I made about this same thing and write your thoughts as well!

Back
Top Bottom