Nasty Chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HarrysHut, Nov 16, 2013.

1. HarrysHut

HarrysHut Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2013
    Last week I got six mixed hens to accompany my five light Sussexs
    When shutting them up last night I noticed that kelly(my light Sussex) what brutally picking my new chicken daffy a head i didn't know how to punish her
    I have also noticed she always pecks tr chicken around food an often breaks her eggs what should I do !!!!!!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's not about punishment. They won't understand that. But if you remove her from the flock for about a week and keep her separate, out of earshot, then put her back, she should be at the bottom of the pecking order.

3. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA

I'd isolate Kelly (where the rest of the flock CANNOT see her) for about 3 days. Chickens aren't extremely bright and will forget who she is. When she's reintroduced, they'll pick on her and she will be the bottom of the pecking order.

Also, are they getting a balanced diet? Her being a food hog and eating eggs may signal that she's not getting some kind of nutrient, but it could signal that she's just being mean.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  4. HarrysHut

Nov 2, 2013
    Thanks for the advice it's just concerns me how she picks on a single chicken rather than the flock as they have a lot to eat ( a varied diet of pellets corn maize banana and leftovers) she used to attention seek when she was younger as Harry would get to come inside and wtch tv and sleep inside

5. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA

If you isolate her I think it'd fix the problem.

6. HarrysHut

Nov 2, 2013
    Ok I just don't want her to be pecked in as well as she is lovely

7. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA

I'm saying just isolate Kelly. Leave the other chicken in with the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by