Nasty Chicken

HarrysHut

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 2, 2013
Last week I got six mixed hens to accompany my five light Sussexs
When shutting them up last night I noticed that kelly(my light Sussex) what brutally picking my new chicken daffy a head i didn't know how to punish her
I have also noticed she always pecks tr chicken around food an often breaks her eggs what should I do !!!!!!

It's not about punishment. They won't understand that. But if you remove her from the flock for about a week and keep her separate, out of earshot, then put her back, she should be at the bottom of the pecking order.

Last week I got six mixed hens to accompany my five light Sussexs
When shutting them up last night I noticed that kelly(my light Sussex) what brutally picking my new chicken daffy a head i didn't know how to punish her
I have also noticed she always pecks tr chicken around food an often breaks her eggs what should I do !!!!!!

I'd isolate Kelly (where the rest of the flock CANNOT see her) for about 3 days. Chickens aren't extremely bright and will forget who she is. When she's reintroduced, they'll pick on her and she will be the bottom of the pecking order.

Also, are they getting a balanced diet? Her being a food hog and eating eggs may signal that she's not getting some kind of nutrient, but it could signal that she's just being mean.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice it's just concerns me how she picks on a single chicken rather than the flock as they have a lot to eat ( a varied diet of pellets corn maize banana and leftovers) she used to attention seek when she was younger as Harry would get to come inside and wtch tv and sleep inside

Thanks for the advice it's just concerns me how she picks on a single chicken rather than the flock as they have a lot to eat ( a varied diet of pellets corn maize banana and leftovers) she used to attention seek when she was younger as Harry would get to come inside and wtch tv and sleep inside

If you isolate her I think it'd fix the problem.

Back
Top Bottom