Nasty evil Roo.....

silkie-mom

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
South central Virginia
I love all my silkies, but one of my Roos is getting weird. They are all about 7-8 months old now.

I know they are protective of the girls, but what's up with him launching himself at me when I reach to touch one of them?

Scares the tar out of me!!

I have several roos, but only 2 that seem to know they are boys. The other study one isn't evil. He just struts around alot.

The other one however, will fly up at me and grab my hand. Sometimes he just lunges and bluffs with his whole body.
I picked him up last time he did this and made him endure some "mommie" time while tucked under my arm for a few minutes and being petted. He hated that, but did not fight it.

Is this something that I need to just get used to? Or is there a remedy?

He doesn't bother the other chickens at all. Not even the other studly roo. They get along great.

I would say pick him up regularly and that will help. One of my silkie roos has been doing the same thing, but I am working with him and he is a bit better. I was thinking though, that the feathers that limit his vision might have something to do with his aggressiveness. I would jumpo too if all of a sudden a big hand was smack dab in front of me, seemingly coming out of nowhere. I was thinking maybe I would give the guy a little bit of a hair cut and see if that would help.

lau.gif
a hair cut!
lol.png

Oh heck no....this isn't a vision problem.
Today I was out in the pen with them, and he came at me from the other side of it. He just saw me touching his girls!

Bratty boy he is.

Of course he will NEVER hit the stewpot. It make me sad when others (not from this forum) have suggested that as a solution.
All my chooks will die fat and happy of old age.
I don't eat them.....just the eggs.

If he keeps biting me I will just wear gloves.
And a helmet.
And goggles.

Quote:
Since I have chosen a large blue orp to be my main rooster as I accumulate orps...I am very thankful for this site. I have already had him try to chase me..I wore him out chasing him and doing the "chicken dance" around him...Lord help me don't let anyone see that!..so I am glad to have all this info available. Thank YOU!

There's a "chicken dance"?
and it works?

Oh do tell.....I'd like to try this. Can you post a video?

My neighbors already think I'm odd. Might as well confirm it for them.

tongue.png

watch what the rooster does to the hens when they are first released from the coop in the mornings...trust me no video and there will never a video.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom