Nasty rooster

Mrsviddy

Chirping
Nov 16, 2019
Northeast Ohio
Hi— my young rooster Svart Hona is targeting one of my older girls. We got him in May or June and he’s about a year old. He’s just starting to feel his oats ( so to speak). I could not figure out why my old girl‘s comb was banged up along with the top of her head. I thought it was one of my 10 other girls. I caught him in the act. It’s not like he’s trying to mate with her. He chases her, pins her down and beats on her. He will sometimes pull on her tail feathers or pull feathers out of her neck. She is truly afraid of him. She will stay close to me or hide behind me. Right now I have him in a cage where he can see the girls. It’s not like she is going to lay a lot of eggs. She’s about 6-7 years old. What can I do to stop the stalking and him attacking her? I am desperate
thanks all

Hi— my young rooster Svart Hona is targeting one of my older girls. We got him in May or June and he’s about a year old. He’s just starting to feel his oats ( so to speak). I could not figure out why my old girl‘s comb was banged up along with the top of her head. I thought it was one of my 10 other girls. I caught him in the act. It’s not like he’s trying to mate with her. He chases her, pins her down and beats on her. He will sometimes pull on her tail feathers or pull feathers out of her neck. She is truly afraid of him. She will stay close to me or hide behind me. Right now I have him in a cage where he can see the girls. It’s not like she is going to lay a lot of eggs. She’s about 6-7 years old. What can I do to stop the stalking and him attacking her? I am desperate
thanks all
Me personally, if he's ok with all the other girls, would just keep her separate. If he's a general bully, yeah, that's not gonna work.

Depends on who you care about more - the hen, or the rooster, and what your priorities are. So people’s answers will vary depending on what their priorities are. To me, a bully rooster has no place in my flock, regardless of whether he’s beating on just one hen or all of them. So I’d eat him. I also value a hen’s long lifetime of contribution more than some cocky newcomer who just showed up. To me, she has earned the right to a peaceful life at this point. Roosters are a dime a dozen (no dime even). Get another one.

We had one a few years ago that beat up one of my hens. I didn’t know he had done the damage at first. I saw the poor hen covered in blood from a serious wound to the back of her head. I put her in a dog crate in the coop to recover for a couple of weeks. The minute I let her out, he went after her again, took her down and attacked her. I put her and a companion into my other coop. A week or so later, I saw him attack one of my pullets. He was so intent on the attack, I couldn’t chase him off of her, so I grabbed him off and immediately segregated him. He was delicious.

Back
Top Bottom