National Anthem

I was impressed the other day...
I have 2 foster teen boys.. tough kids.. raised in the streets and in and out of lock-ups...baggy pants, gang involved,.. you know the routine..(although these kids are doing sooo well now.. they are really good kids, they just needed to get out of the streets..)
We went to a high school B-ball game and when they sang the Anthem.,.. they both stood up and removed their hats and put their hands over their heart and stood quiet and faced the flag respectfully...
I was SO proud of them,.. i swear i was getting choked up watching them 2 boys,.(.yeah i'mma big dork
roll.png
) .. ... i had been ready to give a lecture, and they showed ME!
lol.png
yesss.gif

A lot of the other kids were all still talking and generally being punks.. its a shame..

ETA: I was also happy to see that they still did the National Anthem at high school sport games... (i dont remember them doing it at the football games this fall.. Same school though..
idunno.gif
)

It is customary to stand for the National Anthem in UK. Although I don't think people do at home? Also it is customary to bow/curtsy to a member of the royal family. Not everyone does this though. It's about respect really isn't it? But a sentence keeps popping unbidden into my head:
'Patriotism, is the last refuge of a scoundrel.' I couldn't tell you where the quote comes from?

While I may no longer salute, you can bet I come to full attention
during the National Anthem.

I will forever be amazed by the people, both young and old, who have
no ideal of the price of freedom.

Are you saying you are not able to salute any more or you are not authorized to salute any more?

While I may no longer salute, you can bet I come to full attention
during the National Anthem.

I will forever be amazed by the people, both young and old, who have
no ideal of the price of freedom.

"Conduct during playing the national anthem when the flag is displayed:
(A) all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart; (B) men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and (C) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note; and (2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed."

Even when watching tv from bed my quadriplegic best friend has me place his hand over his heart any time the anthem is played, and when in public he has somebody hold his hand up in place over his heart. He has no issue sternly instructing any able bodied folks within ear shot that dare be disrespectful, and they take heed...it's no fun being toe pinched with a 400 pound chair.

Edited to be more polite.

I have respect for those who stand proudly at attention. I have respect for those who choose to sit quietly for their own reasons. I do not have respect for the act of talking during the anthem, disturbing others. But, I also do not respect the act of badgering and especially *physically* forcing those around one's person to act as said person sees fit. I can tell you who I would be looking at in disgust at a game. It wouldn't be someone sitting down quietly, not disturbing anyone. It'd be the person jabbing at them.

Last edited:
I have always been taught to stand with my hat off when the anthem is played, and to hold my hand over my heart when the flag is displayed. Now when I'm in my uniform for JROTC it's a salute instead of the hand-over-heart. This is common decency to me, in addition to being what I've been taught my entire life.

However, I agree with punk-a-doodle.... We have no way of knowing why somebody does not stand. It could be a medical condition, it could be that they've been walking for a very long time and need to catch their breath, it could be any number of things.
I once had to remain seated during the posting of the colors and the pledge of allegiance because I was holding a fussy baby who would not be quiet unless I was seated. To anybody else it looked like the baby was fine, because she was fine when I was seated. I cannot tell you how hurtful the disapproving looks I got from those around me were. Would they have preferred for me to stand and let the baby scream through it? Somehow that seems more disrespectful.
Don't judge unless you're a mind reader. :)

Back
Top Bottom