Native American Heritage Anyone?

Wisconsin is very very nice, north of beloit...lol...just giving you a little heck.

Quote:

Quote:

I know Beloits not the best. But its better then most places! I have a great house here I wouldn't have been able to get in Madison!

Quote:
Never heard of a Canadian tribe called Canuck It is usually a derogatory term used to describe people from Canada. Sort of like calling a person from the US a Yank. Never heard of a specific name for somebody from Canadian/French descent.
In Canada, any person of European and a Aboriginal descent is called a Metis'.
Metis' most often are of French and Native descent (but not always, can be Irish, German, Dutch, Danish etc.) and now qualify for almost the same provisions as traditional native peoples.
I think anybody with 1/4 Native blood can be issued a Status Card and all the perks that go with it.

The Cree nation from Canada are a strong and proud tribe. Beautiful people. There are agencies that will help you with your ancestral search.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canuck

The
term appears to have been coined in the 19th century, although its etymology is unclear. Possibilities include:

* kanata[1] "village" (See Name of Canada)
* Canada + -uc (Algonquian noun suffix)
* Connaught, an obscure term for Irish-French-Canadians.
* Some linguists hold that it is derived from the Hawaiian Kanaka.[2]

According to Bart Bandy’'s Lexicon of Canadian Etymology (Don Mills, Ont., C. Farquharson, 1994), the term evolved from the French word canule around the time of the American Revolution, but its path of evolution is still not clear. The most likely possibility is that it rose from a mispronunciation among Benedict Arnold’s forces as they laid siege to Quebec in the winter of 1776. According to Bandy, the comte de Theleme-Menteuse was one of the locals captured by the Americans. In his Contes bizarre d’Isle d’Orleans, the latter says that the Americans picked up the common phrase "Quelle canule," but they were usually shivering so hard when they said it that it came out with the "l" hardened into a glottal stop – thence a "k."

On the other hand, Montgomery, Arnold’s co-commander on the Canadian expedition, says that Arnold, who loved word-play, made a joke on the word canule that was picked up by his troops. In discussing the strategic value of placing troops at the mouth of the St. Lawrence to resist the British fleet expected in the spring, Arnold noted the peculiar shape of the Gaspé Peninsula and exclaimed, "There’s a canule to make his majesty gasp." One assumes that the same shivering effect noted previously led to the mispronunciation.

Quote:
I know. We learn many different derivatives of the term in school, that being one of them, but not from Wikipedia
smile.png

We also have a large population of Hawaiin Kanakas here. The history of them settling here is also taught in school (at least it used to be
roll.png
)

Not to long ago, I went through some family history with my MIL. Her grandmother was Shawnee. I havent done any research yet, but have done alot of geneology research in the past, but its been a few years. I'm trying to get a whole family history on my side of the family and down and also my husbands, so our kids will know where they come from.
Sadly my MIL passed away last week, and there are not alot of other family members from her side alive.

Also on my side, from my grandmother, it was always said her great grandmother was Native American, but have never been able to find anything on it. Babcock was the name I believe. I know nothing else, and my grandmother has dementia/alzthiemers, so she does not remember now.

I was just teasing. I have a home in Madison that I can't get rid of since the housing bubble burst in 2006.

Quote:

I know Beloits not the best. But its better then most places! I have a great house here I wouldn't have been able to get in Madison!

Back
Top Bottom