Sabuchan

Hatching
Jun 7, 2020
We had our first experience with coccidiosis in our chickens a few days ago. I noticed that some of them were pooping blood, and I found an article about coccidiosis. The environment and symptoms described our situation, and I figured that was most likely what it was. We started giving them apple cider vinegar with mother in their water and food grade diatomaceous earth (DE) in their food. So far, we have only lost one girl, but there is amazing improvement in the rest. Four days ago, 22 chickens were sick. Now, only one is sick, and she's much better than she was.

Apple cider vinegar -- We haven't been measuring, but a splash in a gallon of water has been working.

DE -- Again, we haven't been measuring. We just make sure that their food is completely coated.

I’m glad to hear it seems to be working. I’ve heard of apple cider vinegar being used as a preventative for coccidiosis but never as a treatment. I personally used Corid (amprolium) it’s for sale at tractor supply co usually. Perhaps others on here can give you more info. I hope all your chickies feel better! :D
We had our first experience with coccidiosis in our chickens a few days ago. I noticed that some of them were pooping blood, and I found an article about coccidiosis. The environment and symptoms described our situation, and I figured that was most likely what it was. We started giving them apple cider vinegar with mother in their water and food grade diatomaceous earth (DE) in their food. So far, we have only lost one girl, but there is amazing improvement in the rest. Four days ago, 22 chickens were sick. Now, only one is sick, and she's much better than she was.

Apple cider vinegar -- We haven't been measuring, but a splash in a gallon of water has been working.

DE -- Again, we haven't been measuring. We just make sure that their food is completely coated.

My family is allergic to any eggs that are not farm fresh or from free range chickens, and we are severely allergic to many antibiotics and medications, as well. We considered using Corid, but we did not want it to affect the eggs. We try to find natural remedies for our animals if we can, but we are not against using medicines if there is nothing else. Apple cider vinegar made sense to us because vinegar would change the acidity of the digestive system, making the environment impossible for coccidia to flourish.

So which is it, the DE or the ACV?
Your logic for the ACV kinda makes sense, tho not sure protozoa have an optimal ph range, or what it might be.

How old are your birds?

I bellive DE is used to suffocate parasites, that's why it goes into the dust bath, did you know that oregano oil also combats coccidia, so oregano may help the one who is still sick.

DE does little to suffocate external parasites, a permethrin based powder or spray is best used for mites/lice.

Back
Top Bottom