Natural fever remedies?

Malibu99

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 23, 2012
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Hi,

Long story short, I'm allergic to most medications and I have caught a flu or something and I am just completely out of it. Are there any good remedies that don't involve medication/corn syrup? I have been drinking lots of water and sitting in a recliner with my dog. Thanks in advance... I haven't had a fever in over 5 years.

Sorry you are not feeling well. If you are even allergic to aspirin ( the active ingredient was first discovered in willow bark) there might be some natural remedies that ease some symptoms like ginger tea. I don't know if it actually decreases fever, but a low grade fever is the way the body fights infection anyhow. Check out this link:http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/chicken_soup_and_recipes_for_cold

Ginger is good as above. If you find Vernors or Seagrams ginger ale, they are made with sugar instead of corn syrup. They will help keep you hydrated and soothe any throat symptoms. Ginger is also a natural anti-inflammatory so it will help with swollen joints and general achiness.

Other than that, a cool bath or a cool, damp rag applied to the forehead, underarms or other areas of high blood flow is an off grid emergency technique for severe fever (I've used this in combat on patrol when no meds were available on a local child suffering infection. We had binary chemical freeze packs but no darn aspirin!). It is effective for emergency lowering of a high fever, but by all means if you are approaching 102 seek medical attention if possible.

Oh, I'm glad it helped some. I hope the fever doesn't get any higher, and that you are soon all better.

By the way, the little knit chicken hat in your avatar makes me smile.
Thanks, it broke this morning :)

Mir loves hats... she has tons of them. If you crochet I'll give you my pattern :)

Ginger is good as above. If you find Vernors or Seagrams ginger ale, they are made with sugar instead of corn syrup. They will help keep you hydrated and soothe any throat symptoms. Ginger is also a natural anti-inflammatory so it will help with swollen joints and general achiness.

Other than that, a cool bath or a cool, damp rag applied to the forehead, underarms or other areas of high blood flow is an off grid emergency technique for severe fever (I've used this in combat on patrol when no meds were available on a local child suffering infection. We had binary chemical freeze packs but no darn aspirin!). It is effective for emergency lowering of a high fever, but by all means if you are approaching 102 seek medical attention if possible.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind :) Thankfully it never got above 102.

Thanks, it broke this morning :)

Mir loves hats... she has tons of them. If you crochet I'll give you my pattern :)
That's good news. You are on the road to recovery.

I dare say my chickens would shake off any hat before I could even aim a camera at them, but Mir sure does wear a hat well.

I hope you feel all better soon.

That's good news. You are on the road to recovery.

I dare say my chickens would shake off any hat before I could even aim a camera at them, but Mir sure does wear a hat well.

I hope you feel all better soon.

I'll see if I can find some pictures of her other hats. She has a white, yellow, and another pink one somewhere. I'll PM them to you when I find them :) Mir is a very good model.. LOL

I read somewhere (though I've never tried it) that cutting an onion in half and placing it on the soles of the feet overnight covered w/ thick socks would help with fever and infection. Though I don't share your problem with being allergic to most meds, I do prefer home remedies to conventional meds whenever possible.

Back
Top Bottom