Hip dislocation quail or something else?

Quailfanny

Chirping
Nov 9, 2020
Hi everyone.
After many heartbreaking stories due to quail diseases I couldn't find any remedies for, I had decided not to be involved with my family's quails. (And then they pulled me back in!).
One of the quails that we have over a year and is blind (I have no idea why) was a bit lethargic and had trouble walking. My dad said that she was old and was probably going to die. I started taking care for her (Apple cider in water, garlic & veggies, epsom salt foot bath). I got a feeling that she had something respiratory and unfortunately I couldn't get any Tylan so got Doxoral Aqua Drops from the vet. I must say I thought (or wished) to see slight improvement in her breathing. She didn't have any trouble breathing but made sometimes some lung noises(?) (sorry, I cannot find the English word for that). (We are on day 4 of the medicine.)
Yesterday I noticed a bump on her hip(?) and I thought maybe her hip was dislocated and that's why she had trouble walking. Today morning after her epsom salt bath I tried to check what the bump might be but unfortunately I'm not smart enough to figure her anatomy out. She can move her leg when I'm holding her in my hand, when I try to massage the bump she closes her eyes, which gave me the impression that it was relaxing?
I cannot post videos here I think and I'm not sure the picture is of any help. There is a steep ramp in where we are keeping the quals so I thought maybe she fell but even though she was in this condition she was going upstairs which she stopped doing only the last couple of days :( Can quails have solid tumors? I think I will take her to a vet but was curious if anyone has seen anything like this.
Thanks in advance!

IMG_20231015_123445.jpg

Last edited:
What are you feeding them? For starters, stop feeding them garlic! Garlic is toxic to many birds.

How old is she? Three years old is old for a quail.
What is their setup like?
What does their poop look like?

What are you feeding them? For starters, stop feeding them garlic! Garlic is toxic to many birds.

How old is she? Three years old is old for a quail.
What is their setup like?
What does their poop look like?
I'm not feeding her garlic. I gave a bit mixed with veggies because it helps chicken deworm so I thought it would help with quails too. (And google didn't warn me that it was poisonous :/)
I'm feeding them specific quail food. (This: https://www.wachtel-shop.com/Wachtelgold-Bio-Wachtelfutter and this: https://www.wachtel-shop.com/WachtelGold-Koernermix-fein).
Her poop seems okay. Only today it was a bit watery after I pulled and tucked her legs to check the issue. I guess that could be due to stress. She is eating (and not pretending like these birds tend to do when they are sick).
I'm not sure about her age. We have her (and two other quails) for over a year now. Their setting looks like something like this.

Attachments

• 1200x738.jpg
    1200x738.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 5
The feed you posted looks a bit light on protein, but shouldn't be causing these issues.

Mixed veggies aren't bad for your birds (as long as you don't feed too much) but does not help deworm chickens or quail. Here is an article on PetMD about toxic items for birds, with onions and garlic specifically mentioned.

The ramp on your setup looks pretty steep. It's possible she injured herself on it. I can't really see the bump too well in the picture. At this point, I think the vet is your best choice.

The feed you posted looks a bit light on protein, but shouldn't be causing these issues.

Mixed veggies aren't bad for your birds (as long as you don't feed too much) but does not help deworm chickens or quail. Here is an article on PetMD about toxic items for birds, with onions and garlic specifically mentioned.

The ramp on your setup looks pretty steep. It's possible she injured herself on it. I can't really see the bump too well in the picture. At this point, I think the vet is your best choice.
Thank you for taking the time. What would you suggest I add to the food? I thought these two would complement each other and be enough for their well being.
Also, I tried to take a better picture of the bump but I'm not sure it worked.

Attachments

• IMG_20231015_183626.jpg
    IMG_20231015_183626.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 5
Thank you for taking the time. What would you suggest I add to the food? I thought these two would complement each other and be enough for their well being.
Also, I tried to take a better picture of the bump but I'm not sure it worked.
You might add a bit of soybean powder or an occasional mealworm or black soldier fly larvae, but for adults, the feed is good enough if not great. If you get chicks you will need something much higher in protein (28-30%) and if you can find something with 20-24% protein, that would be great.

I'm not sure what I'm looking at with the bump. It could be injury or infection.

The vet took xrays and her leg bone is out of her hip socket. She is getting painkillers for a couple of days and after that the vet will check if she can place it back.
Does anyone have any experience with this? I feel so bad that she will have pain all the time if we cannot fix it. 😢

To be honest, I would probably cull, but if you are willing to spend the money for the vet, then she should be okay. The pain killers will keep her from suffering until the joint is relocated. Once it's back in joint, she shouldn't be in a lot of pain. You will need to watch her to make sure she doesn't do it again. Once a joint gets dislocated it's easier to do again.

Back
Top Bottom