Quail with Gapeworm

Kingbobkingdom

birds, sky, stars
Premium Feather Member
Aug 12, 2021
Alabama
One of my quail is gasping and stretching her neck out as well as breathing hard, so I'm pretty positive it's gapeworm. She has had access earthworms.
Does anyone have any recommendations for dewormers or treatments for gapeworm in quail?
There is a Tractor Supply nearby and I'm not inclined to order online.
Thank you!

One of my quail is gasping and stretching her neck out as well as breathing hard, so I'm pretty positive it's gapeworm. She has had access earthworms.
Does anyone have any recommendations for dewormers or treatments for gapeworm in quail?
Thank you!
Gapeworm is rather rare, but if you're sure, here is an article from this site about a product, Valbazen, that is for gapeworm in all birds.

Just FYI, I read Ivermectin is not for gapeworm in one place, yet another lists it as a cure, so here's that site that has other products.

Good luck!

Gapeworm Syngamus trachea is extremely rare in confined reared poultry.They can become a problem in large commercial type game pens.

A accurate, reliable diagnosis can only be made by accurate identification of the individually recovered parasites or a necropsy of the deceased bird. Can not tell by just looking at the bird 'gasping' for air or appearing to be choking!

Fenbendazole at a dosage rate of 20 mg/kg for 3 to 4 days is recommended. Also Tetramisole at 3.6 mg/kg for 3 consecutive days in drinking water, will remove gapeworms.
Another drug used is Levamisole, which can be used in feed rations at a rate of 40 ppm for 2 days or at a ratio of 2grams/gallon in drinking water for 1 day each month to 'control' infections in gamebirds.

A vet visit would be the best way to diagnose the issue.

Gapeworm is rather rare, but if you're sure, here is an article from this site about a product, Valbazen, that is for gapeworm in all birds.

Just FYI, I read Ivermectin is not for gapeworm in one place, yet another lists it as a cure, so here's that site that has other products.

Good luck!
Despite what you have read in that article, Ivermectin will not 'cure' gapeworm.

Thank you!
It’s more likely she has something bothering her in her crop, gapeworm is so rare in quail, check and monitor the crop.

Gapeworm Syngamus trachea is extremely rare in confined reared poultry.They can become a problem in large commercial type game pens.

A accurate, reliable diagnosis can only be made by accurate identification of the individually recovered parasites or a necropsy of the deceased bird. Can not tell by just looking at the bird 'gasping' for air or appearing to be choking!

Fenbendazole at a dosage rate of 20 mg/kg for 3 to 4 days is recommended. Also Tetramisole at 3.6 mg/kg for 3 consecutive days in drinking water, will remove gapeworms.
Another drug used is Levamisole, which can be used in feed rations at a rate of 40 ppm for 2 days or at a ratio of 2grams/gallon in drinking water for 1 day each month to 'control' infections in gamebirds.

A vet visit would be the best way to diagnose the issue.
thanks for letting me know!
If it's not gapeworm, what would you think it is, besides crop issues?

Back
Top Bottom