Natural hawk protection

Now, I didn't know that. These are just growing randomly. I guess they come wild birds like you say. They will choke out anything that grows, except honeysuckle. Honeysuckle and Greenbriar growing on this stuff makes an impenetrable forest. Goats keep it at bay, I think the chickens would be able to keep it cleared out "chicken high". But knowing they may be poisonous to honey bees, i will try to keep the stuff cut down. I don't want to hurt bees in any way, they are having a hard enough time. Thanks for letting me know.

It was probably a year ago I read an article on this website about growing a type of weed or bush that when planted somewhat close together provides a cover for chickens.

I spent the last 30 minutes searching google with all different types of keywords and can not find that article.

My wife and I are getting ready to expand the chicken yard. When it is done we are looking at around 200 X 100 feet. I thought about planting some cover plants around the yard so the chickens can have places to run to if the see a hawk.

Is there a type of shrub I can plant to provide protection? Covering the whole yard with netting is not an option.

Over the past 6 months my wife and I have lost 3 full grown hens and 3 six - eight week old chicks to hawks.

Lost so far:

2 year old Jersey giant, found half eaten
2 year old speckled sussex, disappeared
2 year old Rhode Island Red, disappeared

7 week old barred rock, disappeared, I found just a couple of feathers
7 week old australorp, half eaten
7 week old buff orpington, disappeared

Surely there is some kind of bush, such as a hedge type of plant we can uyse to give the chickens some kind of protection?

It could be the plant you are looking for is Red Tip Photinia. Seems I read on a thread here somewhere and that was being discussed. Relatively fast grower and spreads well also. I have seen them twelve feet tall and eight feet in diameter. Good screen plant too!

David

Brambles are my first choice. Black berry and raspberry can provide fruit. You should also have some native roses that will work. Most plants suitable for such use take time to reach effective dimensions. Short term would be thick patches of timothy.

If you like I can provide pictures showing what I see in a quality bush for use as cover.

Blackberries are great. You can even pick and eat them. My only problem with them would be trying to catch a chicken that didnt want to get back where I want them.

Blackberries are great. You can even pick and eat them. My only problem with them would be trying to catch a chicken that didnt want to get back where I want them.

That is where trainability of a backyard flock comes in. Invest a little time in training birds to come when you hold a particular and distinctive container. I use live mealworms. I have multiple free-ranging flocks scattered currently over 3 acres that can be called up with such. If I had to chase them down life would be miserable for all.

Just wondering if its not a fox or coyote that is also contributing to the problem. Normally a hawk will eat where it kills or move a short distance, also they cannot carry more than their own weight so you probably have a predator problem also.

Ding, ding, we have a winner.

Yesterday evening I went out to the chicken yard to close their house up, and a large red fox was standing behind their yard at the rear gate.

At the back of the chicken yard there is an 8 foot wide gate I open when the chickens go out free range, and there is a 4 foot gate next to their house.

What I figure has been happening, when the chickens go into the yard towards the end of the evening, that fox runs in there, grabs a chicken and runs back out. There is a creek next to the chicken house, woods on the other side of the creek, and a strip of woods behind the chicken yard.

After I saw the fox, I went back to the house, got my 22 rifle, went back out behind the chicken yard. I heard the fox running through the woods on the other side of the creek.

A timber company owns the land on the other side of the creek, so I do not have to deal with any landowners.

This evening I am going to walk into the woods a little bit, sit down with my 22 rifle and wait to see what happens. If the fox crosses the creek anywhere near the chicken yard I should be able to hear it.

Greetings to a Fellow East Texan!

As a chicken owner and a wife to a Certified Wildlife Biologist I would like to add a couple of things to the conversation. First let me say I have had my battles with a red fox so my thoughts are coming from experience. Second, before you take any drastic measures please remember that fox currently has young who will slowly starve to death without the adult. Saying that I do however COMPLETELY understand your dilemma. The very best defense against a fox is a dog in the area where your chickens are located. The fox is most likely getting the chickens between dusk and dawn. My last encounter was at 6 a.m. last December.
A healthy non diseased fox will not cross a medium to large size dog. Unfortunately chihuahuas and toy breeds, as cats, can be meals for desperate wildlife. A dog is also a great alert for something occurring or approaching your flock. As my dogs are not always outside I have also incorporated the following: a radio left on 24/7 and a flashing red predator "eye" - the one I have is the Nite Guard Solar NG-001 Predator Control Light and I ordered it through Amazon, I also keep a light on in the area but not in the coop or pen. There are also some great battery powered motion sensor LED lights now available if you don't have power in the coop area. One of the other really beneficial deterrents is the odor of human urine. As far as foxes are concerned humans are their predators and they are wary of our presence, especially in "marked" territory, as any other mammal. Foxes, as canines, have super sensitive smell capabilities so we are not talking about outhouse level odors. Replenishing once a week or so is usually plentiful depending on the current amount of rainfall. If you have nearby neighbors just take it outside in a container to spare them the sideshow.
ep.gif
One of the last suggestions I have is an electric fence surrounding the coop area. However bear in mind that a fox can jump up to 6 feet from a standing position. A cheaper pet deterrent fence is sufficient and significantly less expensive than a livestock version.

Of course the best deterrent to predators is a very secure coop and fenced area. There is a reason for the saying "smart as a fox" as they definitely consider your actions to exclude them as their next mental challenge. My last experience with my problem fox was after it had leaped on top of my 6 ft tall chicken enclosure and managed to find a space about 6 inches wide where the roof wiring/netting was joined and squeezed in. Now that is determination!

One last thought, it terms of "alarm systems", nothing can compare to a few guinea fowl. They miss nothing and will let you know when anything changes. Also SUPER foragers that require very little upkeep.

I wish you well and hope you are able to solve your predator issue. It's just my personal ethics to consider the consequences (suffering and death of unattended young) of ultimate actions. I do understand your predicament. I lost my favorite 6 yr. old hen last year to the same fox.
sad.png

Good luck!

Greetings to a Fellow East Texan!

A healthy non diseased fox will not cross a medium to large size dog. Unfortunately chihuahuas and toy breeds, as cats, can be meals for desperate wildlife. A dog is also a great alert for something occurring or approaching your flock. As my dogs are not always outside I have also incorporated the following: a radio left on 24/7 and a flashing red predator "eye" - the one I have is the Nite Guard Solar NG-001 Predator Control Light and I ordered it through Amazon,
Hello neighbor,

I have 2 puppies I picked up off the side of the road and have had them for going on 3 months no. I think they are about 5 months old.

One looks like it has some german shepard, and maybe some pit bull further down the line. This one is the male, larger than his sister and has black and brown coloring.

The female is a little smaller and a little more timid. She is black with white marking on her belly and feet.

Both of them are very protective over their home. My cousin lives about 200 yards away. When his dogs come over, the hair on the back of my dogs backs goes up, and they chase the strange dogs away. The puppies do the same thing with cats or anything else that comes around.

It was about 2 weeks ago the puppies woke me up around 2:30 am barking at something that was near the creek, or on the other side of the creek. I got my flashlight and 22 rifle, but did not see anything.

The direction the puppies were barking at 2:30 am was the same direction the fox ran sunday evening.

Last edited:
Sounds like they have great potential. Are they chicken friendly? If so they are definitely your best defense against a fox. I've only had problems when my four dogs (rescues also) are inside.
Good luck with the fox problem. They are a beautiful animal and a tough opponent!

Back
Top Bottom