Natural material nesting boxes

If my idea of a branch weave doesn't enclose well enough, you could use some natural twine to tie some "sprays/swags" of evergreen to the outsides, sort of like this Christmas decoration, but not as fancy. Haha.

2716586_orig.png

Not sure what natural materials you are considering, especially this time of year in northwest Ontario (I assume province, not city). Summers will not get hot but winters can be kind of brutal. Not sure how many you are looking at doing, what the area you are putting them looks like, or how skilled you are with crafts. And your little darlings will be helping. Good for you.

Nests do not necessarily have to have a top. Consider using native rock. I'd want to mortar them in place or somehow fix them so they are very stable.

Consider cutting tree branches and using a natural cordage, maybe sisal twine. Our boy scout troop built tables, drying racks, and other things from tree branches and sisal.

Use your basket weaving skills to weave a nest. You could do an open top or maybe turn it on its side for the opening. Maybe use rushes or reeds if not tree branches.

Just a few ideas. Let us see the results.

Lol! Yes I know wood is natural but I'm going to try to use forage as much as possible. Haven't got anything build yet but have got a good pile of materials started. I've attached my basic idea, think lean to if you were to go backwoods camping without a tent but chicken sized. Might top with evergreen branches or just use the small tree rounds as a roof. I've cut poplar trees that are about 1-2 inches in diameter that I plan to make a base out of then hold up whatever I do use as a roof. The main prompt for these nesting boxes is my heritage orlop bronze turkeys and my ducks. They are starting to make nests in the woods (2 hens, 1 tom) (5 hens 2 drakes) so I'm hoping the natural materials will encourage them to lay in the coop. It's -20C tonight and it's only the start of winter so I really want to encourage them to lay indoors, otherwise the kids Easter egg hunt in the spring could turn into a rotten egg hunt lol. The chickens are happy with the bookshelf I laid on its back and covered with a tarp as a nesting box lol
20181205_232843.jpg

The main prompt for these nesting boxes is my heritage orlop bronze turkeys and my ducks. They are starting to make nests in the woods (2 hens, 1 tom) (5 hens 2 drakes) so I'm hoping the natural materials will encourage them to lay in the coop.
Ah, I see. It might work, but got my doubts.
Why not take what they are building/choosing in the woods and bring it into the coop and arrange it on the floor?
Are they getting under something out in the woods?
Pay attention to the size and height of where they are laying and try to emulate it.
Interesting concept, let us know how it works out.

Back
Top Bottom