Natural Nest incubation(my attempt)

When I recandled the box eggs this morning I found that 3 have perfect looking living(heatbeating) chicks inside, 1 seems to have veins, but no mass, 2 I think may have blood rings already, and 2 have badly detached air cells(not even sure when this would have happened. But when I load the incubator in about 3 hours I may move one of the living ones over and the detached ones. What do ya'll think? Leave or move?

I put the shipped eggs into the incubator yesterday morning around 11:30 and just barely changed their tilt twice today. I also checked an egg or two from the box and they changing so I may hatch something yet. I also have another goose egg coming so that if they both hat they'll have a friend. Here's hoping they all hatch.

Yes!! Here's to good hatching rates!
woot.gif

How will you manage the different incubation lengths of the chickens, ducks and geese?
Maybe it doesn't matter as you're not going to do a 'lockdown'?

Last edited:
Bee I thought you said he was doing his job.

Aart that's exactly it. I plan to keep my humidly about 50 til the chicks hatch and on day 18 for them stop turning and then uping it closer to hatch for the fowl. Id honestly never heard of lockdown til I stumbled upon this site. My grandparents never changed the humidity and just dated and 3 days before hatch we'd stop turning(most of the time).

Bee I thought you said he was doing his job.

Aart that's exactly it. I plan to keep my humidly about 50 til the chicks hatch and on day 18 for them stop turning and then uping it closer to hatch for the fowl. Id honestly never heard of lockdown til I stumbled upon this site. My grandparents never changed the humidity and just dated and 3 days before hatch we'd stop turning(most of the time).

He's mating and I'm finding fertilized eggs in the skillet but not sure if his "seed" is top notch. He's rather a low testosterone kind of bird...he's only crowed once and he doesn't act much like a regular rooster in a lot of ways.

Ah gotcha. Well if you want I can send you a dozen from the lady that I got mine from. I paid $2.50 for them and atleast 3 are going good.

Nah...these are just practice eggs from mutt breeding, so I wasn't expecting much anyway. He's not a rooster I have purchased or bred for this reason, just one that I came to by the way and am using for a flock leader until I can get a really good WR rooster.

Back
Top Bottom