Natural remedies for flying pests

DieterleCompound

Chirping
Apr 2, 2022
I’m wildly green in all things chicken, was hoping someone out there had some advice or direction for natural remedies for flying pests. (Buffalo gnats, flies, mosquitos) I’ve attempted to search the internet and the forums on here for information/insight on the matter with trouble.
Would Buggins, or other similar sprays be acceptable/safe to apply directly to a comb, or mist over the chicken to help with deterring flying pests?

Attachments

• F99A5EF7-DC4E-4DFF-8A5F-39CFB07A83AD.jpeg
    F99A5EF7-DC4E-4DFF-8A5F-39CFB07A83AD.jpeg
    235.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 8569944D-A8D2-4145-BDAB-C6A23642C225.jpeg
    8569944D-A8D2-4145-BDAB-C6A23642C225.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
I am unsure about the commercial "human" sprays, but you can purchase pest spray that is safe for poultry. Our local farm store sells several different brands/kinds & I am sure you could purchase online.
Here is a do-it-yourself pest mix that has always worked well at our place:
Make a trap using apple cider vinegar. In a small bowl, mix a half cup of warm water plus two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, a tablespoon of sugar, and about six drops of liquid dish soap. Gnats will be lured in by the sugary mixture, but once they dip in for a drink, the sticky dish soap will trap them.
I have found that the good ole' fashion fly traps you can purchase (the hanging bag, bucket, or even strips) work wonders.
Another thing I have found to help keep the gnats away is mint! I keep mint plants around the coop as a natural deterrent. Peppermint oil is also known to be a natural gnat deterrent.

Spalding's fly predators work well for stable and other biting flies. Fly traps set up away from the coop and house will attract and kill them. Permethrin spray inside the coop is effective too, and pyrethrum is the original chemical, straight from the flowers.
Don't use strong smelling essential oil type products on the birds where they will be inhaling the stuff. Their lungs can't cope with it, for human use only, not labelled for poultry.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom