Aerial Mosquito Spraying HELP!

Countryhippie

Chirping
Aug 29, 2021
Massachusetts
Where I live has decided to start spraying for mosquitos, they have decided to do truck spraying through the neighborhood streets and properties. I am not exactly sure when this is suppose to happen yet, but they are suppose to send us an email when it is our time.

I am worried that this will affect my girls. I have four hens and their coop is on the end of my property situated about 3 feet from the road and separated by a fence. Thier coops windows point directly toward the street. What should I do to keep the girls safe and how should I handle the contamination of their run?

The ingredients of the spray was listed. See below.

Larval/Pupal Mosquito Control Products

Biological Products (“Biopesticides”):

• Bti (Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis) - A naturally occurring, non-reproducing bacterium used in wetlands or artificial containers. Certified organic formulations are available and used by CMMCP.
  • Bsph (Bacillus sphaericus) - A naturally occurring, non-reproducing bacterium used in abandoned swimming pools, catch basins and other areas with high organic content.
  • Combination Bti/Bsph - Formulations using the benefits of each bacterium in a slow-release manner in briquet or granule form used in catch basins and/or abandoned swimming pools.
  • Spinosad (Saccharopolyspora spinosa) - A naturally occurring, non-reproducing bacterium used in wetlands or artificial containers. Certified organic formulations are available and used by CMMCP.
Growth Regulators:
  • Methoprene — An insect growth regulator (IGR) used against mosquito larvae in catch basins.
Surfactants:
  • BVA® 2 Mosquito Oil — A highly refined oil used for control of mosquito pupae used in wetlands or artificial containers.

Adult Mosquito Control Products

Ultra-Low Volume (ULV) Products:

ULV sprayers dispense very fine aerosol droplets that stay aloft and kill flying mosquitoes on contact. ULV applications involve small quantities of pesticide active ingredient in relation to the size of the area treated, typically less than 3 ounces per acre, which minimizes exposure and risks to people and the environment.
Low Volume (LV) Products:
Low Volume (LV) Sprays, also known as Barrier Sprays, use more dilute solutions applied at greater amounts to foliage, foundations or other areas the pest to be controlled may come in contact with after the application. LV Sprays are often residual sprays necessary to control the pest long after the application is made. Barrier Sprays have only been done on a limited basis in the CMMCP area over th past decade.

It appears to be safe. The solution appears to contain biological insecticides and larvicides. The only life forms endangered would be fish and bees. No cancer causing agents in the mix. This is harmless to all other animals including humans.

The spraying will involve very fine particles to nab flying mosquitoes. When the truck is due to spray your road, I suggest closing the chickens up in their coop with windows and doors shut so they aren't breathing the particles. After the mist settles, it's perfectly safe to bring the chickens back outside.

I'll defer to azygous as to the chicken safety of the the spray. I'll just add my anecdote of mosquito trucks. We would have to follow the truck on our bikes to really get the full scent of it. The "fog" doesn't really spread all that far. By the early 80's the spraying was discontinued. A losing battle here, I guess. Maybe it will be more effective in Mass.

Back
Top Bottom