Natural Remedies...

Hi! Any Poultry Experts there?

I am just curious about garlic.

I am a Registered Veterinary Technician and I know that garlic and onion are very bad for cats and dogs. They can cause a condition called Heinz body anemia in cats and dogs if fed in large amounts or for a long period of time.

I lost a Rooster (a handsome OEGB) this winter and took him for a necropsy to the State Veterinary Diagnostic Lab. The cause of his death was undetermined but the Pathologist happened to ask me that if I had fed my chickens any onion or garlic which I did not ( it happened that my Rooster's red blood cells were excessively destructed).

Garlic is good for us humans but is it the same for chicken? I am suspicious.

Thanks!!!

Garlic-Sparingly
It will cause Anemia if used over a long period of time.
I give them each a sliver 3 times a year-Spring, Mid Summer, Fall
Sometimes give a small sliver when they are already sick.

I try to not keep chickens dosed up on anything even ACV for long periods of time.

Fresh water and Good food keeps them ok most of the time.

i know this is an old thread but anyone have remedies for fowl pox? I know for people Elderberry syrup and Oregano oil can be good for viral illness.

i know this is an old thread but anyone have remedies for fowl pox? I know for people Elderberry syrup and Oregano oil can be good for viral illness.
The remedy for dry fowl pox is to let it run its course, it'll eventually go away on its own. Your birds will then be immune to that particular strain.

Last edited:
Just wanted to share the book The Complete Herbal Handbook for Farm and Stable by Juliette de Bairacli
Levy. It was referred to me from a breeder and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. The poultry section isn't that large but it is a powerhouse of natural remedies from gypsies and old farmers from all over the world.

Hello all! I live in Ethiopia East Africa and recently had to treat my chickens because they were infested with poultry fleas... those poor animals were in a terrible state.. problem is i m new at this and secondly, there are no decent vets here... the animals are very weak so i started giving them vit supplement this morning.. they still have some fleas on their heads and on top of their eyes.. any suggestion on natural remedies are more than welcome!!!

Back
Top Bottom