Naturally Worming Chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickens112, Feb 20, 2009.

1. chickens112

chickens112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Cuero Tx
    What are some ways that you can worm chickens and still get eggs to eat from them. I read something about putting dried garlic in thier water. Thanks

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I think pumpkin seeds are a good natural dewormer. I am also sure you can still eat the eggs since its not a man-made antibiotic.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Cayene Pepper is what you`re looking for. Put a large amount in their feed. Pepper in one end, worms out the other. Chickens don`t have heat receptors like everyone else. They eat the stuff like candy. Worms can`t stand the heat and RUN out the back door. Repeat in 10 days to get the young`uns. Twice a year is all you need.

MrsCSki, chunkyonchia and marlene like this.
  4. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Garlic (cloves in the water or minced in the feed) and edible diatamaceous earth will take care of the problem.

5. FractalFarmer

FractalFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    SF Bay area CA
    Quote:Do you give them whole pumpkin seeds? Or do you chop or grind them up somehow? We got some pumpkin seeds that were sold as squirrel food, but our chooks aren't eating them. It seems like they're too big whole, so I wonder if I should chop them?

Heavnlydove likes this.
  6. me&thegals

me&thegals Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Wisconsin
    We give them all the pumpkins and squash left over from the garden. That way, they get ALL the goodness of the pumpkin. Even frozen, they start pecking at it and in 1 day only the skin is left [​IMG]

Heavnlydove and Davidmed1994 like this.
  7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    how much cayenne pepper to use??, thanks, Wendy

8. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I'm interested in knowing too. Say, you put a full coffee can of feed to (what ratio) of pepper?

9. chickens112

chickens112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Cuero Tx
    . One question though, if you use the pepper will the worms actually come out the back end of the chicken?[​IMG] also thanks for all the suggestions:D

Aprilinparis likes this.
  10. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I have never heard to the pepper thing, but after you worm the dead worm will be in there poo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by